Thread: please help with changing commands for file types

please help with changing commands for file types

1) hi all !!!

2) problem settings: Win Xp Pro with Sp2
    in Folder Options->File Types it is possible to change icons and default command/program "Action" to operate particular file type.

3) problem: i didn't notice that when i changed default icon for File Folder (and a few other important file types including my computer and disk drive) it automatically changed action to Find. now every time i try to open something Search window opens up. i can not delete or edit Find from action options. i created new default action that opens explore.exe. now i can not edit or delete it too. looks like every action i create can not be edited or deleted later. the action i created opens everything in separate windows. i want everything to be able to open in one window like everything else does. the action i created (explorer.exe) does not follow Browse folder settings (also in Folder Options).

questions in priority order:

1. how to create an Action that will open selected file/folder in same window? or better if i can return it back to default state....

2. how to delete all other actions i created?

thanks for looking
    I know nothing, but many don't know even half of what i know.

Right click on the file and select properties. Click the change button next to opens with. Choose the program you want to open that file type and make sure you check: always use the selected program to open this kind of file. You can do the same thing by going to folder options and clicking the file types tab.

thanks for reply.

it did not work. my main concern are file folders and disk drives. XP Sp2 does not give you an option to Open With for disk drives and folders.

go to my computer and try to open c drive with text editor. won't work. its not an option.

i need to know a syntax for opening a file with explorer in existing window.

P.S. i tried reseting Folder options to Defaults from General Tab in Folder Options. did not solve my problem.

Its unclear what your trying to do. But, to help reset things back try My Computer | Tools | Folder Options |View Tab , then Reset Folders and Reset Defaults at the bottom.
    You might try System Restore also.

FWIW, a drive, folder or file folder opens with Explorer by default, since your using Windows file manager . Thats why notepad doesn't open the C:\ drive , its not a file manager, its a text editor. Use the right tool for the right job or "action" . At this point it sounds like you've buggered the file assocoiations for some Windows system folders or files. If the fix above doesn't help and you can't remember how to undo your changes, you'll probably need to
    Repair Install XP and reinstall SP2 again to restore Windows.

If resetting the defaults does not work, download this reg fix file.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/folder_reg.zip

Unzip it and double click the extracted regfile. Say "yes" to the question and that should fix your folder association problems.

i would hate to reinstall or even do windows repair. i have a heavy customized system already loaded with a lot of applications i use.

thanks for the reg file. it did not help.

if anybody figures the answer please let me know

System Restore did nothing but uninstalling a bunch of programs i used

Did you restore defaults on the General tab in Tools > Folder Options?

Is "Browse Folders" set to "Open each folder in the same window"?

done that,

please read my posts

im out of ideas

reinstalling OS

thanks for looking

System Restore did nothing but uninstalling a bunch of programs i used
    Did you make a Restore Point beforehand so you could restore back? I suppose I should have provided those instructions and not take for granted you would figure that out. My bad...

A 'Repair Install' will only replace Windows files back to original. It will not effect your programs or settings , but will remove SP2 and any other Windows updates.
    What I'm not sure of , is will it repair the changes you've made to the Folder settings , since those may apply to User settings . It may be an exercise in futility or it may fix your problem without effecting your installed applications.

i had a restore point set before i have done any customizations. after i installed OS and Sp2 i set a restore point. still it was no help.

i am not repairing system - waste of time.

fresh reinstall in the same folder. it will replace existing files and settings with defaults

thanks for looking up