Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HL2 Already In Gamers Hands

i agree with the windows bit... to be honest my copy of windows right now is ripped... if you want to call it that. that being said, i have a authentication sticker on my computer thats legit, AND STOPPED working because i have reinstalled windows or installed new hardware too many times for the liking. if you think i'm going to rebuy windows or pay there 24.99 per call help line to get a new key or try to fix it, there sadly mistaken. the fact i have gone threw 4 video cards, 2 mobo, and 3 cpus and a new sound card in the last 6 months shouldnt make me have to shell out more money for a new key if thats what i have to do at this point.

i dont mind putting the key in, i dont mind sending them my computer information, but when a legit key all of a sudden stops working because i have a addiction to upgrading, thats pretty sad.

whats being said is pretty true, the only people this affects are the paying customers... if you want something you will go buy it. when there is a bigger challange its going to get more attention resulting in a quicker hack in this case. in no way do i support it... but somethings are pretty silly :\

also about that dont buy games thing... thats silly as well. its like the gas in canada, peopel were saying dont buy gas on this weekend to protest... well the fact is, everyones going to fill up on friday or monday, resulting in the same gas being bought/sold, just on a diffrent day. people are going to buy games after christmas if they decided to follow threw with the no games before christmas.

it sucks though, theres 3 games in a week that have come out that i want(nfsU2, HL2, WoW), and theres no way i'm going to shell out 200 bucks for them all right now, so i lose in the end.

oh well i'm done ranting
    Last edited by TiGgErDbC; 11-21-2004 at 10:52 PM.

I see this thread getting closed very soon...

The call to MS is free to get your copy reactivated, and they are very nice about it....i had to do it recently when my mobo bit the dust, all you have to say is "hey, got a new mobo" and they read you a new key...

yeah but the KEY does not work, i put it in and it says its invalid... ive been calling ms for the last year for new keys, then finaly when my new mobo cpu came in last week now i dont even get the phone in promt... its silly, and i looked for the number to reactivate so i could talk to someone about it and i couldnt find it at all i found was the 24.99 per call number.

its not that i'm not willing to go threw it, its at the point where i cant. i dont have the information to help myself. maybe i could find it but why should i spend a hour looking for a number to ask them why my key that i bought just stopped working for some reason. its not fair to me. as a customer like said before, they got paid when i bought the software... i shoulnt have to check in all the time :\

ignor the spelling and grammar errors... i had a longgg night

http://support.microsoft.com/default...890&sd=techh#6

http://kadaitcha.cx/activation.html

Toll-free number, and you'll talk to a person too to explain the situation

ignor the spelling and grammar errors

I don't see why the thread should be closed; no one here is promoting piracy in any way.
    Quite the opposite in fact. Perhaps the thread should be moved as we seem to have left the topic of HL2 behind.

I’m sure Microsoft’s staff are extremely friendly and efficient but the point is that I have better things to be doing than contacting friendly Microsoft staff on a regular basis.
    My hardware changes are my concern not Microsoft’s.

I don’t like things that do things without my knowledge or permission. When they do they get stopped, suppressed, tweaked or when all else fails they are removed.
    Last edited by Kandar; 11-21-2004 at 11:21 PM.

I know people who pirated their copies of Windows XP pro. They've NEVER had to call or had any problems installing/changing hardware.

Regardless of your position on the gaming industry, Microsoft DOES punish its customers.

Originally posted by maje87c
    I know people who pirated their copies of Windows XP pro. They've NEVER had to call or had any problems installing/changing hardware.

Regardless of your position on the gaming industry, Microsoft DOES punish its customers.
    Yeah. I like it like that, kind of reminds me of the old days when operating systems were YOURS when you bought them. And btw, cracking software to work without activations after you've spent money you've worked your *** off for is not my idea of a well-spent investment. I don't rent software, I buy it. I don't expect a hassle afterwards either. They should sell these so called "activation" versions for $10 a copy if thats the game plan. If you feel shelling out $100 to $300 for an OS and having to jump through hoops afterwards is ok, then this will only be getting worse in the future. If some of the yuppie soccer dads and rich daddys boys out there would do something about it instead of support it it wouldn't be this bad in the first place. If you support such nonsense, you're either on the wrong side of the fence, or just a moron who doesn't care about his money.
    Last edited by SocialChaos; 11-22-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Last edited by MJCfromCT; 11-22-2004 at 10:38 PM.

20,000 accounts. That's to the tune of a million dollars in sales. Reading post of on steam forums right now and it is rather humourous to read some of the reasons. "hijackers moving my mouse around and typing on my screen, but I've just formatted and it is all fixed now." Beautiful.

I'm sure HL2 is a great game but it’s just come OFF my Christmas list and moved on to my Boycott list. I don’t pay for software that phones home and tells tales.
    Who I am and what I do is MY business not Valves or anyone elses.
    Steam appears to be an intrusive and abusive piece of software.

You have nothing to lose unless you are on the wrong side of the law.

I pay for the games I play. I would play more but I can’t afford to, so I only buy the bigger titles. If I wasn’t being ripped off with every purchase I would buy more often.

I expect my newly purchased software to work out of the box.
    I don’t expect my internet connection to be abused without my knowledge or consent by my games so they can spy on me.

“You have nothing to lose unless you are on the wrong side of the law”

I have nothing to hide when I do my shopping but that doesn’t mean I would tolerate someone following me around making notes of everything I do.

When did it become the customer’s problem to look after the interests of the suppliers?
    The software industry created the piracy problem by overcharging in the first place and I object to being treated as a criminal just to enable these greedy scum bags to continue charging obscene amounts for their products.
    It’s an erosion of your freedom; it’s not right and it sickens me how many people are prepared to just except it.

I pay for the games I play. I would play more but I can’t afford to, so I only buy the bigger titles. If I wasn’t being ripped off with every purchase I would buy more often.
    Believe it or not, but if you buy HL2, then Steam is on your side. Whether the prices of new game titles is acceptable is the topic for another thread.

I expect my newly purchased software to work out of the box.
    I agree with you, and with regard to HL2, aside from a few problems with authentication, when have been resolved days ago, there have been no major problems.

I don’t expect my internet connection to be abused without my knowledge or consent by my games so they can spy on me.
    Steam is simply a method of rapidly deploying new software, games, updates and patches. And with regard to HL2, aside from the original authentication of the game, you do not need an internet connection at all, and do not have to worry about anybody "spying" on you. However, this CD-less gaming and online downloading of content is the wave of the future.

I have nothing to hide when I do my shopping but that doesn’t mean I would tolerate someone following me around making notes of everything I do.
    I wouldn't want someone following me around either, but I am happy with the security cameras in the store which help cut down on shoplifting, which indirectly benefits me. The same goes for Steam. I'm more than willing to authenticate my genuinely purchased games if it means putting a thorn in the side of the pirates.
    Last edited by MJCfromCT; 11-23-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Originally posted by MJCfromCT
    I wouldn't want someone following me around either, but I am happy with the security cameras in the store which help cut down on shoplifting, which indirectly benefits me. The same goes for Steam. I'm more than willing to authenticate my genuinely purchased games if it means putting a thorn in the side of the pirates.
    You present a good, reasoned case.

I was disturbed by the Valve moderator’s attitudes in some of the linked forum threads and I think that every new attempt at piracy prevention just throws down the gauntlet for a hacker to crack it first. I know of no protection system that has not been defeated (I’m not saying that there isn’t one). I just think that instead of throwing pots of money into developing new protection systems only for them to be ripped out or bypassed is silly.
    Selling the games without expensive protection would lower the production costs, thus bringing down the price and would remove the challenge for hackers to get involved.
    Granted it won’t stop the bootleggers having a field day in mass production but if the prices where in reach of more people they might just be inclined to put their money in the software houses pockets and not the bootleggers.

But I agree, this is a topic for another thread so I shall say no more on the subject.
    I’m not totally convinced about Steam but I’ll buy the game and put it to the test. (I’ve waited long enough for it)

Again, I agree with you...expensive copy protection schemes rarely do anything to prevent the experienced crackers from distributing games illegally. In my opinion, Steam is able to get rid of this expensive copy protection, and allow the more effective (although not totally effective) means of anti-piracy measures such as the product activation. These measures have already caught 20,000 Steam users according to Valve, so I think that's a good start .

Go buy the game, give it a whirl, and let me know what you think of it.