Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HL2 Already In Gamers Hands

HL2 Already In Gamers Hands

well, aside from those of you who have preloaded, that is

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11...s_6113002.html

Of course, it won't mean anything because you cannot play until steam activates it.

Not if the guy cracks it.

From what it looks like, this game will not be able to be cracked very easily. Considering how most games get cracked weeks and weeks before their release, and this game is 3 days away from release and has yet to pop up in the warez community is promising. I believe that this is due to the steam authentication. It in effect makes HL2 as hard to crack as any other multiplayer game. While single player games have always been easy to pirate, multiplayer games that need to communicate with a server somewhere have not been as easy. That being said, it isn't impossible, but a lot more difficult.

muhahaha if i see that poor sucker im so happy that i bought the dvd version . . . . have fun changing 6 times the cd
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard : AMD X2 4800+ CPU : 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM : ATI EAX 1950XTX : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

Why couldn't he play it now? They aren't going to ostrasize the people who don't have internet connections to play a single player game.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

He cannot play now because the install needs to be authenticated by steam in order to be played.

Originally posted by BadBadNeil
    Why couldn't he play it now? They aren't going to ostrasize the people who don't have internet connections to play a single player game.

Originally posted by MJCfromCT
    He cannot play now because the install needs to be authenticated by steam in order to be played.

now thats a good point nail didnt think about that yet

what u mean with authenticated . . . u need to be online then dont u?????

so ppl who dont have internet suffered or what
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard : AMD X2 4800+ CPU : 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM : ATI EAX 1950XTX : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

You will need an internet connection to install and activate the game. There are ways around this, such as registering the game on another computer with access to the internet and steam, copying over a specific file to your computer, and being able to play. Valve is working on this now.

Sounds more and more like windows installation .

Its perfectly fine for people with an internet connection. Valve made a decision to cut down on piracy by sacrificing the convienence of a few gamers who still do not have internet connections. Its a sign of the times, and a sign that those without the internet are behind them.

Yeah that is some screwy stuff if it's true.

Just like they don't assume everyone has a AMD64 or 2GB ram they shouldn't assume everyone has the internet. Perhaps if it was an online only game I'd understand more.

It probably won't cut down on piracy much though. Someone will just get the update and package it with a pirated release.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Considering when games like Halo 2 and San Andreas were leaked compared to their release dates, Half Life 2 is looking very good. Also, the Source engine is a very scalable thing. If you look at the minimum requirements for Half Life 2, you will see that they are a lot less than an AMD64 and 2GB ram...

Here it is straight from the box:

Ultimate Member
    Although im planning on getting it in the next few days, my current lack of internet connection means im gonna have to buy a 56k modem and then cart my PC aroudn to my mates (20 mins walk away) to use his line... either that or crack it.

And to think, my dad will be sat at home tomorrow mornign playing MY copy

--Jakk

Welcome Jakk