Thread: network connection trouble

network connection trouble

righty...

2 windows XP desktops, one XP laptop and an ME laptop all connecting to an ADSL connection through a belkin 54g wireless router thing. laptops have PCMICA cards (or whatever that thing is) at b standard wireless, desktops sport stylish PCI wireless network adapters

anyway, had the router working fine, all computers able to access it and connect to the internet (in the infrastructure manner, not ad hoc) using the router as an access point. recently everything started randomly going wrong, none of the XP machines can now connect to the internet through the router, and only the laptop can even establish a connection with the router.

at the moment: ME laptop works fine;XP laptop can access network but not internet connection; XP desktops can see the network as being available to connect to but when instructed to connect, fail on the premise that it is actaully unavailable.

ive tried disabling security protocols and the like,does anyone have any other ideas?

im on the ME laptop atm, but i really hate laptops so please help me!!!

thanks all, its good to be back after so long!

belkin routers have given me nothing but trouble. did you try a full reset? is the router plugged into a ups? did you check your systems for spyware? did you try the winsock fix?

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=161595

Has someone changed the settings in your router? Many people just use the default settings and (I suspect the default password) If that is the case someone nearby may have changed some of the settings. If you haven't already done it I suggest you start using MAC address authentication, otherwise someone may be stealing your bandwidth. I recently bought a Wireless-G card before I got a wireless router. I decided to test the card even though I did not have a router yet. Sure enough depending on where I was in my apartment I could get on the Internet through three different routers. If these routers had had MAC address authentication set I would not have been able to do this.

thanks guys it was none of those problems though i havent checked that winsock fix....

it seems to be ok now, and all there is near my house is an old peeps care home so no worries about them stealin bandwidth

anyway, just getting used to life behind a router, i know nothing about the way ports work.... an applicatin no longer works and requests to use ports: tcp 6699 udp 6257 ... i have an option in router setup that sasy something to do with tcp and udp, column headings are: trigger port, trigger type, public port, public type

what setting would i need to put in each column to allow my application to work please?