Thread: Intel Boosts Centrino with Pentium M Bump

Intel Boosts Centrino with Pentium M Bump

At the time, archrival AMD also cut its own mobile processor pricing, reducing the OEM price of its top-of-the-line Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+ by more than 50 percent, to $243.
    ouch lol. that was harsh.

dont a few of the guys on this site quite like the pentium M???

I most certainly do! But I think it's more the Centrino package that has me hooked rather than the processor itself. It's currently the only Intel processor I would consider buying into, with the intro of the AMD Mobile 64, I would have to weigh up the pro's and con's of each before buying either though.

i would have thought that the 64 bit version would be far more appealing than the 32 bit version to be honest. the M cant be that good that is competes with 64 bit?!?!?!?

I think that where Intel has AMD beat is that Intel has entire setups based around their systems, from the processor to the motherboard to run it, to the interfaces and cards, network devices and such to interact with it, so they can build the entire system from the ground up. AMD relies (relys? reles? relis? damnation i cant spell...anyway) on other hardware to optimise their CPU performance. but AMD certainly has Wintel beat on pricing . i'm an AMD man myself, so i say all the better!

IMO Intels Achilles heel is their graphix chip! it's always a let down when compared to the rest of the system! If you buy an Intel "G" chipset, you know the "G" part of it is one of those "it'll have to do" chips, and it proves you can't be a master of all trades. sometimes it's better to leave some things to folk with more expertise than you!

very true. i had a comp with the integ. graphics chip. the rest of the comp was pretty decent, but the graphics sucked. worst part of all, no AGP slot on the mobo. that limits possibilities a ton.

The extreme in the the intel integrated extremem graphics just fools the foor average jo(or jane) computer buyer.

you can imagine the person thinking about his computer having extreme graphics by intel. and then thinking. that computer at work has an intel inside sticker. that must be amazing!!. look at that rubbing ATI or nvidia graphics one.

and i dont think the person selling the computer in the shop is going to say....oh wait the graphics are rubbish on that computer. they just want a sale; or they dont have a clue either!!

all manufacturers do it by using Xs in the names to make the thing look amazing.

*laughs* so true. then again, "X"800"XT", 6800"GT", 5900"XT", its all a marketing ploy. oh, and i had a very comforting moment. i looked up and directly compared AMD v. Intel stocks for 1 year. well, here.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=INTC...&z=l&q=l&c=AMD

interesting...lets see if AMD make a profit two years running lol