Thread: Tools you use for modding cases!

Tools you use for modding cases!

Well I was bored so I decided to start this thread. How about we list the tools that help us with moding are cases. I'll start us out.

*Dremel-I use this for cutting case windows or for cutting desings into cases. I recomend a variable one that plugs into a outlet. Don't think about using any cordless ones.
    *Pencil-So you can draw the design of the case window.
    *Ruler-basic tool you need for making measurments
    *Duck tape-Yes duct tape I use this to put around the outer perimter so I don't cut to far out of the design.
    *plexiglass-This is the what I use for the window its pretty cheap to buy. Also there is lexan which is bullet proof and you can bend it without applying heat .
    *Super Glue-I used this for my last one but seeing that it dosen't work so good I am going to look for some type of bonding agent
    *Safety glasses-yeah to protect your eyes from the metal shards and sparks.
    *A breathing mask-Well I do not know the exact type I use but I know its enough to block out the small metal shards from being brought into your lungs.
    *A work bench-Some type of work bench and no your moms kitchen table does not count.

Well thats about it. If you didn't notice I make my own windows I don't buy window kits. BTW its not fault if you cut yourself to pieces.

Tech^

Dont forget wide masking tape as well, duct tape is not safe on all surfaces. The inside of a wide masking tape roll is just about 80mm as well, can mark a hole for a fan.

My cordless dremel does come in handy, I use it primarily for finishing up, grinding off the sharp edges and cutting plastic. Good for smaller detail work too. If you slip at lower speeds you wont make as big a hole in yourself, those higher speed ones melt skin VERY quickly ( ive done it ).

Ive got a hole saw for my drill now as well, not quit 80mm but its much quicker and I just use the dremel to touch it up. Saves on cutting discs.

Carbon paper for tranferring a design to the case. I very seldom do square windows, mine are usually animal based, have been so far anyway.

ive been using hole saws to make holes in my cases
    regards,

the xenon

When you're ready to put down the Dremel and use some big boy tools take a look at these links. Dremels are great for finishing and light detailing, but I'd never try and start a whole window with one. These tools will speed the whole process up. Use extreme caution if you decide to use these. You can lose a finger or an eye with them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41655

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3150

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31309

Nice prices on the stuff too Johnny, might have to pick me up a few.

Yeah, the tools are cheap, but for what we're doing with them they're perfect. I wouldn't try to cut out car fenders with them all day long, but for putting in a window in a computer case once in awhile they're priced just right.

Originally posted by Johnny Fist
    Dremels are great for finishing and light detailing, but I'd never try and start a whole window with one.
    I would

This is where my signature would go if I wasn't so lazy.

The ends justify the means, I guess. I still wouldn't waste that much time with a dremel.

For fan holes, you can't beat Greenlee Dye Cutter.

I list the tools I use for my mods here