Thread: BEST PC GAMEPAD?!

Hybrid View

BEST PC GAMEPAD?!

Why do so many PC gamepads suck compared to console pads?

What do you guys think is the best PC gamepad? I want to get a dual X-Arcade but it is still a joystick based setup and sometimes you want a good old fashioned gamepad. I like wireless, but baterries plus connection issues seem to make it not worth it...
    I do like the six button "Street Fighter" layout too...
    I was looking into a programable one and see a lot of joysticks and pads out on the market by Saitek. Are these good?

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    I've got a Logitech controller that costs about $30 and looks nearly identical to a PS2 controller. all buttons are able to be configured. It works very well, just as good as a PS2 controller. On MVP Baseball 2004, the buttons were already perfectly configured.
    I am sure you can find it at www.newegg.com
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

I have a Gravis Exterminator (old version) with dual analog joysticks but they get screwed up easily. My Logitech cordless is screwed too but that one looks good I think: do you mean this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-207&depa=0

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    Zilion, that's the one. I've been using mine for about a month now and it's all good. The dual analog works perfect. I can't say anything about long term use cause it's new and I have only put about 70 MVP 2004 games on it. Each game being a good 30 minutes long. So do the math on that. But it works great now. I would recommend you buy it if you want a good game pad. Some PC controllers have the buttons in slightly weird places or the controller is full of strange buttons you never use. Not this one. Just like the PS2 controller
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Saitek

Cool, I'll probably go with that one, but two last questions on the matter.

I like Xbox controllers and I saw people on Ebay selling Xbox to PC (USB) controller adapters. Do they work or are they buggy? Is there software to make them programmable?

Also, for straight PC gamepads, the other brand I was looking at at Best Buy were the Saitek ones... any comments on them?

Thanks again!

Saitek have always been a leader in game controllers...

I have one of the least expensive ones ( P880 ) and it has six buttons is confortable and all can be configured to most any game. And they are not very expensive on the whole.

They also have a dynomite cordless one that has just about everything on the pad you would want ( six buttons plus two for anolog and digital plus dual pads and four triggers...the cost is about $45.00 or so and that is very reasonable for the quality.

Go to their site and check them out...

Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I have a Gravis Gamepad Pro. I love it

I think it was around 20 bux.

The 5 best gamepads according to the german gammagazine gamestar (10/04):

1 Thrustmaster Firestorm Wireless, Score: 82/100, test in: 02/02, 40€
    2 Logitech Wingman Cordless, Score: 80/100, test in: 02/02, 40€
    3 Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual, Score: 78/100, test in: 02/01, 20€
    4 Logitech Dual Action Gamepad, Score: 77/100, test in: 01/04, 20€
    5 Logitech Wingman Rumble Pad, Score: 75/100, test in: 12/00, 35€

edit: according to another german game magazine (pc games) the top 4 are:

1 Logitech Wingman Cordless, Score: 1.72, Force Feedback: yes, 39€
    2 Thrustmaster Firestorm Wireless, Score: 1.72, Force Feedback: no, 35€
    3 Saitek Rumble Force, Score: 1.80, Force Feedback: yes, 30€
    4 Logitech Dual Action Gamepad, Score: 1.91, Force Feedback: no, 20€

about the score: 1 is the best, 6 is the worst
    Last edited by MrBurns; 10-25-2004 at 04:27 AM.

I personally think the Playstation controllers are the best so I purchased a Playstation to USB adapter for my PS2 controller. Only $9.99 (online $12.99) at Fry's.

Here's a link: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3503594

Now thats a real good piece of add on equipment...

It' s great to be able to play with a gamepad that you like from another medium..as many of you havew both PC and consoles....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Here's my personal experience, if you're considering the Logitech Rumblepad:

I've had the Rumblepad for about 6 mths, and this joypad sometimes has a calibration problem. More details over here at the Wingman Team forums:

http://www.wingmanteam.com/discus/

I actually had to go back to my distributor to change it for a second one before it worked.

And one day while I was playing FIFA2004 with the Rumblepad, the analog stick cap popped off as I was manipulating the stick. Not good, I'd say. I could put it back, but it no longer stuck to the stick with the original adhesive.