Thread: Alienware Licenses Multiple PCI-E Motherboard Tech

Alienware Licenses Multiple PCI-E Motherboard Tech

now as far as i knew, alienware was just a company that prebuilt kick-*** computers. they do have an advantage over a computer that i would build with the exact same specs? interesting...

Alienware's high-end gaming computers were nothing more than overclocked\liquidcooled standard fare, until recently when they designed X2!

Licensing the technology may have a knock-on effect of bringing the price of their own systems within reach of more people. They have the opportunity to grow in a different direction completely.

Would you like the 4,000 $ Alienware dual video card version

or the

1,000 $ Nvidia SLI version?

Talk about a shimmering piece of (somethin)

I have no problem buying a motherboard with X2 on it, I just have a problem buying a motherboard with X2 on it that is also in a prebuilt system by alienware as they charge exhorbant fees for what they offer, especially once you realize there cost - near 100% markups aren't that far off on some systems they offer - especially at the price they get their stuff at. Any motherboard cost increase really isn't that much of a point as if you can afford the second vid card, you can afford the extra cost of the board - at least once they become a bit more mainstream. This tech may be a bit more expensive (or not) than nvidia's at first, but it will be cheaper in the long run and give you flexibility with card vendors. Not to mention it knocks the card makers back down to a more level playing field for when PCI-E becomes commonplace in our community as nvidia won't have a trump card above all others than ATi can't touch.

The only thing which will cramp up SLI and X2 is the hardware they support offering new and if used features that those who want the most in IQ that older boards can't offer as they just don't support the feature. Though it does help add life to an existing platform if your willing to make sacrifices. With dual cores, WGF, and who knows what else on the horizon, I really can't say if this is going to be a technology that goes anywhere at all outside the workstation enviroment and HIGH end budgeted gamer enviroment. Dual cores may offer a bit more in performance, but not as much and thats going to slow the CPU end down. The fact that an X800 Pro pulls about as much (I think a bit less) than a 9800XT shows that graphics card makers still have some power headroom (especially given that the stock coolers on ATi's end are on the small side for a performance product, yet still work decently). Now if you can go without feature X but still need a boost in frames at a given resolution, this sounds like a decent solution, as does SLI.

Hell, doesn't VIA have a prototype SLI as well?

I'm a bit drunk from last night so if this doesn't make sense, sorry.

Yeah, before it was as simple as getting the Alienware comp specs, juicing em up with a better mobo and some kick *** RAM, and poof, you had a rig better than the Alienwares for half the cost. now, they're licensing new technology? can you say, marketing ploy to attract more customers to outrageous mark-ups?

i think more people would buy alienware computers if the prices were a bit more respectable for what your getting. This new x2 tech could mean that the price for alienware computers could go down if sales r high for this x2 thinggy.
    System Specs
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz,
    Overclocked to 3.39 Ghz
    KingMax DDR 333 512 & KingMax DDR 400 512 Mb RAM
    ASUS P4P800 E-DLX
    ATI All In Wonder 7500
    2 Firewire ports & 12 USB 2.0
    Thermaltake Xaser III Skull Black case with 420 Watt PSU
    360 GB total storage - Western Digital 160, 120 & 80 GB HDD'S
    Windows XP Pro.

hell, if prices dropped to a reasonable cost, like close within the price of parts to us, the end-user, i would be much more likely to buy from them. just to get the hardware advances that they have.