Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Halo 2 stolen?

Halo 2 stolen?

something different other then the really annoying Half-Life 2 postings

Microsoft's biggest Xbox release for 2004 has been leaked to the Internet; surfaces on file-sharing sites. Company stands by official November 9 release date.
    Late last night, 27 days before its officially scheduled retail release, a complete version of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter Halo 2 was leaked to the Internet. The pirated release, a PAL version of the game with French-language dialogue, is currently making its way around various Usenet newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks.

In a statement that Microsoft is sending only to media outlets that request comment, it admits the game "has been posted to various newsgroups and web sites."

While Microsoft says it is "currently investigating the source of this leak with the appropriate authorities," there has been no word on precisely where or how the game originally surfaced at this time, although Microsoft says it is actively tracing the leak. "Microsoft takes the integrity of its intellectual property extremely seriously, and we are aggressively pursuing the source of this illegal act."

It should be noted that players who download the game illegally could face a maximum penalty of $100,000 per instance for copyright violations. "We consider downloading this code or making it available for others to download as theft," the statement continues.

Reaction to the leak from developer Bungie, whose employees have spent most of the past three years developing Halo 2, was understandably more visceral. "We think this really sucks," read a staffer's post on the company's official Web site. "Aside from years of hard work being stolen from us, we've gone to great lengths to ensure that the details of the Halo 2 campaign remain a mystery."

"Microsoft," the post says, "is currently engaged in a full-scale investigation" to come down hard on "those foolish enough to partake in this piracy."

Another message, this one directed at the members of the bungie.net forums, warned of dire, sweeping consequences that would befall any member who posted screens stolen from the leaked game, or hinted that he or she had the game, or knew where to get it. "A link… on the forums will get you banned permanently [from the forums]." Worse, users whose GamerTag user name is listed in their user profile "risk having your Xbox Live account's ability to play Halo 2 crippled…We are NOT kidding around here."

"There's no doubt in my mind that Microsoft has people tracking down whoever was responsible for this," wrote the Bungie-appointed moderator on the forum. "I hope whoever it was thought that leaking the game was worth his job."

Halo 2, which continues the adventures of Master Chief with an all-new single-player adventure, as well as Xbox Live support for Internet-based multiplayer, is scheduled to hit retail shelves on November 9--a date that Microsoft says "remains unaffected."
    the prince of all saiyans will not fall again!

Its a shame, I had read that a few days ago...if they didn't want to get into trouble, they should have just continued to play Halo 1, seeing as they are basically the same game.

Why go through all that trouble (and the possibility of getting in trouble) to release a stolen copy of a followup to a horrible game in nearly every aspect. Halo 1 is only better than Doom 3 because the torment of playing it until you beat it isn't nearly as long IMO.

Sounds familiar. Strange.

Originally posted by Magua
    Sounds familiar. Strange.
    Except it's probably too late for any delays, seeing as the game is done and MS has it's heart set on an X-Mas release.

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    Why go through all that trouble (and the possibility of getting in trouble) to release a stolen copy of a followup to a horrible game in nearly every aspect. Halo 1 is only better than Doom 3 because the torment of playing it until you beat it isn't nearly as long IMO.
    My thoughts exactly.

Especially considering the official release is reletively soon, risking substantial jail time for some inside tips seems pointless.

It's **** good publicity for MS

Makes you wonder.

well it think they deserve it!

that is what they get for having the full game just lying there for two months!! release it!! but it is a shame that some illegal asses have got the game and are playing it. hope they get the $100000 fine

LOL

1st off, this happens with just about every single game so I'm not in such awww as a lot of people are who cant believe this happened... its really nothing new.

2nd of all, nobody is going to get in trouble or get any type of fine other than the one person who leaked the game who will face the consequences in full, but thats even if he/she gets caught, which I doubt.

Especially considering the official release is reletively soon, risking substantial jail time for some inside tips seems pointless.
    I'm not trying to violate the TOS, and hope this doesn’t… but to these types of people who release pirated copies of software like this is just like this huge competition to them all, far from pointless to those who are willing to take the chance, all about being who gets what 1st and how fast (or how early) they got it. I do not support it, never have and never will – Everything on my computers are 100% legal, especially my games which are most important. I as well think its a horrible thing, but unfortunately thats just the type of industry it is and I don’t see it coming to an end any time soon... meaning there's always a way around anything on a computer/on the net, and its sad to think about those people with the skills needed to do those types of things that this is what they’re doing with those skills of theirs…

I agree with what dragflameson has said. If its made of 1's and 0's, there will be a way to copy it. Sad but true.

Originally posted by MJCfromCT
    I agree with what dragflameson has said. If its made of 1's and 0's, there will be a way to copy it. Sad but true.
    Yup, it really goes for everything. For every security update there's just another type of crack or way around it... a never ending war!

Purportedly leaked from a European manufacturing plant used to press game discs, the company threatens severe action against those making the game available for download.
    Looks like someone pocketed a CD.. probably an "affiliate" of one of these "release groups"

it is said that that the main Xbox forum's are actively banning people if they even mention the leaked Halo2, if they post screenshots you get banned...

Apparently it's all very hush-hush and only official things are to be released. Rather than cause desire for the game, it creates intrigue as to what they are trying to hide!

Still, Halo was a reasonanly pants PC game (might have been better on the xBox) so I won't even look at the demo for H2!
    Stefan

Yes I read that too, where there is no talking about it and posting screen shots results in an automatic ban...

It doesn’t surprise me that it leaked, since every game does usually a week or so before the official release, but... this is a little surprising (crazy) because its almost a whole month before the official rls.

Most people who were planning on buying probably still will buy it, and most who were going to download it anyways will download it. I dont think it will do *that* much damage as far as sales are concerned, but still, I do feel bad for the guys who put that game together

I dont think they're trying to hide anything other than the game itself before it comes out. They wanted it to come to everyone at once... now there will be people with it beat before it hits stores and many opinions I'm sure on forums were people will be able to read about what the game is like before its in stores... thats exactly what they didnt want.

I dont think, that any game release was really delayed because of a stolen beta or source code. the companies only say this to hide the real resason for the delay. like the hl2 beta was very far from a releaseable version.