Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help, HL2, What upgrades should i get?

i think americans get paid more and lower living costs. its an unfair world. but we do get free university, school and health care. it all balances out. you guy have to pay untold ammount at university hee hee. we get a free (or paid in taxes) first degree!!!

go for the 9600 XT btw (back on track)

Depends on where in America you live, the cost of living is very high by me, cheapest houses are 200K and go all up to 500K...thats a few pennies...

Having one pound worth more than 1$US dosen't necessarily make it 'stronger'

But anyways I would go for a 9800pro and a stick of 512mb PC3200. Looking at a little under $300US for both.

256RAM is way too low for gaming. Need 512 minimum.

You know... you should actually wait for the game to come out if you plan on upgrading 'for it'

Why? It is clear what the system requirements for HL2 will be. The game will be out in less than two months at this point, it makes more sense to have a computer ready to play the game when for when it comes out. In the meantime he can play Counterstrike Source, which is already out.

Originally posted by MJCfromCT
    Why? It is clear what the system requirements for HL2 will be. The game will be out in less than two months at this point, it makes more sense to have a computer ready to play the game when for when it comes out. In the meantime he can play Counterstrike Source, which is already out.
    True that he can play CS:S, but that won't have the same requirements as HL2 will.

Three good reasons to wait. (and some stupid ones)

1. Time passes, graphics cards tend to get cheaper
    2. You are buying upgrades for a game that isn't out before the cost of those upgrades deteriorate.
    3. HL2 could take another 5 months for all we know.
    4. Your house could burn down
    5. Give you time to THINK about it (often overlooked detail)
    6. Give you time to save up money.
    7. Not to mention that you are upgrading for a Game that isn't out yet, we don't have a solid idea (we can guess) of the requirements (have you played a game with min requirements before? - not pretty)

But do what you want man.

I was just giving my opinion, say for instance you bought the ATI card with the HL2 voucher in hopes that HL2 would be out soon. Look at where those people are.

True,

I have run the video stress test that comes with CS:S and I would like to think that that is somewhat of an accurate representation of what HL2 will be like, it contains a lot of features that aren't found in CS:S, different textures, lighting and water effects, etc. And my 9800P can handle it pretty decent.

BTW i especially like reason #4

i would recommand go to 512 meg to 1 gig and 9800xt 256 to play hl2

He has a budget everybody lol.

Having one pound worth more than 1$US dosen't necessarily make it 'stronger'
    off topic but what does it mean then. im interested to see what u have to say to back that up lol. seems pretty cut and dry to me.

256RAM is way too low for gaming. Need 512 minimum.
    if there was a 512 card out im sure we would all buy one.

ure complainin of a 200k house ha ha. you dont know what house prices in britain are like just now. that is dollars. the house im living in is in the subarb and is built on what uses to be a farm (middle of nowhere) and is worth over 300k in pounds ( but it is a pretty big house with 6 people living in it) in scotland anyway when you get to area where the yuppys live like newton mearns you get little rabbit hutch type houses costing well over 100k.

£300 equals about $539K. and ive known houses a couple of Km down the road whcih are smaller go for more, because they are slightly closer to a main road!

out of interest how much do you guy on average pay for fuel (or as you would prob call gas) per litre, or you guy probably do it in gallons. we pay for unleaded petrol about 80 pence per litre. that being about $1.44 per litre. and about 84 pence per litre for diesel.

sorry im going off topic but we have provided a few options i.e. 9600 XT or wait till the game comes out because prices will have gone down.

plus can any mods say why cheesburgerman is banned after like only one day....what did he do, i need gossip!

Banned
    Dudes, Hl2 is multiplayer too, geezus, check out E3 2004 and check the hl2 trailer, it shows some multiplayer gameplay, but the game looks so cool

The only multiplayer component of HL2 is Counterstrike:Source. In the future a HL: DM may be created, but it will not be released with HL2 at first.
    Last edited by MJCfromCT; 10-10-2004 at 09:48 PM.

Originally posted by porsch1909
    off topic but what does it mean then. im interested to see what u have to say to back that up lol. seems pretty cut and dry to me.
    Well if 1 pound equals 1.x dollars yet you have to spend 1.x pounds on the same product that we spend 1 dollar on it kinda equals out. See what I mean? I believe that is what he’s saying.