Thread: No Post, No Beeps, No nada

No Post, No Beeps, No nada

Purchased Chaintech Summit 7VIF4 Motherboard and Athlon XP2100+ CPU along with 1 stick of Ultra 512 MB DDR 2700 for new manager’s machine. Put all together and would run for a couple of hours and then would reboot by itself. Took for testing and the longer I ran it the sooner it would reboot. Soon it would just get logged on to the Network and it would reboot. I tried running it out of the case and still got the same issue. Tried 3 different PSU, same issue. I tried a different CPU Fan and heat sink same thing. Decided to RMA the MoBo back to Chaintech as I had already sent in the rebate and globalcomputer wouldn’t take it back without the UPC. I got the “new” Motherboard yesterday and today I set it up on a piece of cardboard with CPU, fan and Ram only (uses on-board video). Shorted the PWR pins and CPU Fan and PSU fans spun for maybe 5 seconds then nothing. No Beeps, no smoke, no nada? I am at a loss would a fried CPU do that or did I get another POS MoBo? I tried the same 3 PSUs; as well just to be sure it wasn’t a power issue. When it was running on the first motherboard I swapped out Ram, Cables, and hard drive without getting any change in performance. What should I think but bad CPU?
    Thanks for reading this long one
    Will

Did you try boot your motherboard up with only the CPU installed?

if not try that. It may be your CPU, it looks like you have elimnated most of the touble shooting I would do. and to me it looks like your Processor is bad.

Do you have another SocketA chip around?

Originally posted by CrazyCrusher
    Did you try boot your motherboard up with only the CPU installed?

if not try that. It may be your CPU, it looks like you have elimnated most of the touble shooting I would do. and to me it looks like your Processor is bad.
    You can't possibly boot the board with only the CPU installed. It sounds to me like the cpu overheated and died. My bet is the hsf was improperly installed. There is a step on the bottom of the hsf that needs to match the step on the cpu.

Originally posted by ukulele
    You can't possibly boot the board with only the CPU installed. It sounds to me like the cpu overheated and died. My bet is the hsf was improperly installed. There is a step on the bottom of the hsf that needs to match the step on the cpu.
    Nope your right, I had a Brain **** didnt relise I typed that untill I looked again, Im in work can you blame me sorry for the confusion if I made any. I meant to say CPU and Memory, but needless to say I think your CPU is dead.
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 10-07-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Wow thanks for the fast replys. I don't have another CPU that will fit but I guess I will try and get a new one. I doubt Global will take it back since it has been over 30 days since I bought it. Chaintech took over 3 weeks to send back the Motherboard. I hate to argue the point ukulele but there is only one way to put the heatsink on this motherboard some components are really tight. Anyway if it was my fault or not thanks for all your input.

Will

I hate to argue the point ukulele but there is only one way to put the heatsink on this motherboard some components are really tight.
    It's just something to check out. I put one on once with a wire for the fan stuck under it. I was lucky I couldn't get the connector to reach the header or I would have fried it for sure. It's quite possible that the cpu is defective, or the MB for that matter. Even the psu or ram could be faulty. You have to start with the obvious, which would be double checking the cpu installation.