Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How can I Copy C: to another drive?

Don't know if should should have posted this under a new 'Norton Ghost' topic, but anyway, I bought Ghost, installed it and it seemed to do the job very easily, Set the new drive as the bootable drive, rebooted the PC, and things were looking good, go the normal Windown XP splash screen, then it goes away and I'm left with a blue screen with a small Windows XP logo, and that's as far as it gets. I've left the computer on that screen for over two hours, thinking maybe it would boot, but no go.

Any ideas why this is happening? I followed the Ghost instructions, but must have missed something. Tried it twice actually, once copying the original MBR and once without it

it is as simple as stated above copy C:\ E:\ then it will magic be there
    buy the cheeseman

Originally posted by cheeseman
    it is as simple as stated above copy C:\ E:\ then it will magic be there
    That's pretty much waht I did. I used the "Copy one drive to another" option in Ghost. In the Option, I selected "Set Drive Active (for bootong OS)" and selected "Copy MBR" . Removed the original boot drive, reset jumper on the old e: drive to master

The blue screen I get is actually the Windows Logon screen, minus the users names

I've never had success copying an xp drive form one drive to another using the floppy or CD from either WD or Maxtor. Never figured out why as the floppy doesnl't load any files in use by windows so you'd assume everything would come over.

I'm not sure at this point why Ghost isn't working for you but it should.

Have you tried to boot the newly copied drive into safe mode?

Originally posted by rmanet
    I've never had success copying an xp drive form one drive to another using the floppy or CD from either WD or Maxtor. Never figured out why as the floppy doesnl't load any files in use by windows so you'd assume everything would come over.

I'm not sure at this point why Ghost isn't working for you but it should.

Have you tried to boot the newly copied drive into safe mode?
    I tried booting into safe mode also. Get the same screen, but at a much lower resolution. It's like it wants to boot, gets to the logon screen, but there are no user names to click on, just the Windows XP logo, and it just sits there doing nothing

You've got a couple of configuration problems here. In fact, I'm surprised the machine even gets to the XP screen.

It's a little unclear what you're ending up with when you ghost your C drive to the 2nd partition on the 2nd drive.

If you norton ghost clone a primary active partition, the target partition is going to end up primary and active. The HDD manufacturers copy utilities do a good job copying but I don't know if they'll convert a logical partition to primary or make it active. Ghost does.

Since you're now using Ghost, the 2nd partition of your 2nd HDD is primary and active and I'm guessing that the first partition is also primary. That means that when the machine boots, it looks for the boot files on the first primary partition. A machine always looks for the boot files on the first primary partition it finds.

They're not there. Everything is on the 2nd partition. It's not going to boot.

You need to put the ghost clone OS onto the first partition of the 2nd drive. You need to clear out what is now your D drive.

That's the main physical configuration problem you've got. If you straightened out those problems and you were running 98 it would boot. XP still wouldn't.

XP has a registry configuration problem with moving from one HDD to another. Same problem with moving the XP OS from one partition to another in a multi boot situation. (I do this a lot)

XP has some registry entries where it notes exactly where each partition starts and ends. If anything changes here, XP doesn't want to boot.

The solution is to delete those registry enties and let XP rebuild them when it boots.

You need to delete everything in the righ pane in this attachment:

It won't let you delete the (Default) entry, don' worry about that. It'll work fine without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks DVOM! That was it. Took a whole 15 seconds to fix the problem.

I had already made my D: drive (first partition on the drive) my boot drive and was getting the Windows logo screen, but as soon as I deleted the registry entries, switched drives, she booted up just fine.

Thanks again. Amazing the help you can get from these forums. That little tip should be in one of the XP stickies somewhere. I was all ready to badmouth Norton Ghost, but all along it was Microsoft, go figure

If you go to pricewatch.com and type in ''norton ghost" you will see that you can buy systemworks with ghost 2003 for about $15.00.