Thread: setting up a RAID 0 on Asus A7N8X-E DLX

setting up a RAID 0 on Asus A7N8X-E DLX

First of all...thanks for your help guys. I know I can always turn to this site when I get stuck...and i'm stuck!!! I have an Asus A7N8x-E dlx V2.0 and I'm trying to clean install Win XP Pro to 2 WD 74gb Raptors in RAID 0. I got the jumper set, and RAID set up using the bios utility. I boot off my Windows CD, Press F6, takes the drivers from my floppy and begins installation. I've tried this twice already. The first time, It asked for the partition where I wanted windows installed and It gave me 2 options. A 140gb and a 70gb. I figure that if it's set up as Raid 0, the 140gb partition should be there since to my understanding, it's two 70gb hds treated as 1. So what is the 70gb partition doing there? anyways...It went throught the format process, got to 50% and then took about 20 secs to jump from 50 to 100 percent and gave me an error message saying that there is a problem with the hd configs. I went back to the RAID utility, deleted it and reinstalled it again. Now this time at the partition option it gave me 2 70gb. It formatted, copied the "necessary files", rebooted and then it gave me another error message saying that the OS cannot load. My questions...after setting up the raid 0, how many partitions should I see at the partitions options screen? one 140, one 140 and a 70, or two 70gb partions. At the boot options, right above option 1, 2, 3 etc, i have a "SCSI or RAID card boot" option which I enabled. My first boot device is the cdrom and the second is SCSI. Thanks!!!

first, you shouldn't touch the jumpers on the back of sata drives. you can only have one drive per cable anyways.

if you setup the array properly, you would see 1 140gb drive. you can partition it anyway you want after that.

the label on the drives said that the jumpers where not necessary if they are set up in RAID...at least thats what I understood. So I went ahead and took them out. I guess putting them back on on their default position should be the next thing to try huh? another question, should I use just one 140gb partition or is it a good idea to use a 10 gb partition for the OS and then make a separate partition to use for everything else? I'm also planning on using an WD 80gb 8mb drive as a back up. This is my first time experimenting with SATA, so any ideas on the better use of partitions are welcomed. I'm planning on doing some video editing work
    Last edited by diablillo; 10-06-2004 at 02:46 AM.

if you have a backup drive, then you can just make a 140G partition. If the array breaks, you gotta rebuild the whole thing. having 2 partitions on the array would NOT help at that point.

RAID0 makes you more susceptible to data loss. just fyi.

please read these before you continue:
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2101

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tik...513a33598babcd

http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/515
    Last edited by Midknyte; 10-07-2004 at 05:40 PM.

You may want to rethink whether RAID 0 is the best solution for you. RAID it not really for Desktop machines. If you have your mind set on RAID setup consider one that gives data reliability, e.g., RAID 1, 5, 10

If you search Syop.com you will find many RAID 0 failures and unrecoverable data unless you have the know how, software and the $s to recover.

Oops. found a typo in my last post.

I agree with G. You have more to lose than to gain with RAID0. Please read the articles I posted and make an informed decision.