Thread: ATI vs Asus conflict.

ATI vs Asus conflict.

Been a long time since I been here, but I know where to get the right kind of help.

I have a 2.2GHZ AMD
    Asus A7V8X-X MB
    512 MB Ram,
    Win XP SP2,
    ATI Xtasy 9200 SE AGP,
    80MB WD.

I have been using a 32MB Nvidia card, but it is starting to get lines in it, so I got the above card. When I installed the new card, within about 2 minutes, it just rebooted the system. I swapped back and forth about 4 or 5 times, and the old card caused no problems. I returned the new card thinking it was defective, and got a replacement of like kind. It did the same thing.

Is there a chance that the MB and ATI might have a conflict, since the Nvidia works just fine.

I did go and buy a Verto 128MB nvidia card, but have not installed it yet. Thought you smart guys could help first.

Thanks,

Did you completely uninstall the nVidia drivers before you switched cards?

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Untick "Automatically restart" and set memory dump to None. Hopefully, you'll get a blue-screen error with a message next time.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I have had the exact same issue with several ATI cards just in the past week. It's an XP issue. The trick is to go into safe mode and completely remove any display drivers you can find first. Next shutdown and install the new card. Then reboot. XP already has correct drivers for that card so let it load it's drivers. Don't install other drivers from the disk that came with the card or it could do the same thing again. It is OK to install the ATI control panel and Hydrovision if you like but not necessary for proper operation of the card even in dual monitor mode.
    Last edited by ukulele; 10-02-2004 at 12:49 PM.