Thread: i dont get sempron???

i dont get sempron???

i dont get the rating system they use like the sempron 2400+ runs @ 1667mhz so how on earth is this supposted to keep up with P4 2400mhz??? obviously thats not the way to look at it so could someone explain the rating system for the sempron series??? thanx

Well...I always thought AMD's naming convention to be deliberately deceiving...

it's just the same as the athlons. they said "officially" it's a comparision against the older athlons, not P4s. of course, you and I know that is a load of BS.

MHz isn't the only thing that you need to consider. There's cache, pipelines, etc.

http://www.muisejt.com/axp.php

I hear ya. I have a 2600 with the t-bred core and it’s a 333fsb running at 2.075GHz. While the Sempron 2600 has a 333fsb running at 1.833GHz. Go figure. The Sempron has a thorton core, but has the same cache as the t-bred.

Originally posted by The Lodge
    The Sempron has a thorton core, but has the same cache as the t-bred.
    It has a TBred core:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...on_was_too_big
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/news/article.php/3387121

Newegg has a handful of semprons with the thorton core. Maybe it’s a typo, maybe not. I went to the amd site and couldn’t find the information I was looking for as usual. I hate that website! I dropped them a little consumer feedback, doubt anybody will even read it. If they do, then maybe I’ll get an email. If not, oh well, life goes on.

From what I have read some of the semprons are based on thorton and thoroughbread cores and the high end ones are socket 754 and use the paris core which is a amd64 without the 64bit instruction and less l2 cache. It seems to be a ******* child kinda line they merged a bunch of diffrent chips under one name. The thorton uses the barton layout with half the cache so I would guess the thortons would run cooler then the thoroughbread ones.

Originally posted by The Lodge
    I went to the amd site and couldn’t find the information I was looking for as usual. I hate that website!
    yeah i hate it aswell, you can never find the info your after in there it's fairly useless

Sempron PR ratings are supposed to compare to Intel celeron speeds not p4 speeds.