Thread: automated backup problems

automated backup problems

I want to use the built in backup program with Win2k.
    I have set the backup program to run daily at a prescribed time, but the Wizard pops up at the allotted time and requires me to be there to start the process. Is there a script or way to automated it to work without input from me so that it will work even when I am not at my computer?
    SAG

you added scheduled task to do the backup, right? it should automatically run as long as you put in the proper credentials. just make sure to log off before you run the backup. You may need to add command line switches depending on what you are doing.

speaking of credentials, you should be logged on as the administrator or backup operator when you create the backup job. otherwise, you have to log in as admin or BO to execute the command.

Yes I set it up in task scheduler...I am logged in as my name however I have admin rights. I thought command line switches are only used if in DOS? I am trying to run this in Windows. The backup program does start automatically when it is supposed to, it just doesn't complete the task unattended. It will pop up and wait for my input. It requires me to click on the backup button to get it to actually start the backup proceedure.
    If there are switches that will get it to start and complete the task unattended then I would like to know what they are and how to add them.
    Thanks,
    SAG

did you bother to look at the task in the scheduler? it runs as a command line program. make sure you put your name and password in the properties of the task.

go into the help file for ntbackup.

you can also run cmd, then run ntbackup /?

Yes I did include name and password. I looked at the list of switches but did not see anything related to unattenced backups. As I stated, the program does run but requires me being there to click a few buttons to get it to start. I guess there is no way to set it and for get it.
    Thanks,
    SAG

what are you backing up to? i've done it with tape drives a lot. my command line looks something like this:

C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily.bks" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j "Daily" /l:s /p "Travan" /um

I am backing up to an external harddrive through a usb cable.

that might be the problem. ntbackup is really targetted at tape drives. didn't the external drive come with backup software? I know the maxtors come with retrospect backup.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

take a gander at this article. are you adding the /um switch?

I used the command line below and got ntbackup to start automatically, however shortly after starting it stopped and gave the following error:

Insert Media
    Need new Media for F:\Computer Backup files\full backup.bkf.
    Do you want to continue?

Any ideas which of these swithces is wrong? It obviously thinks that I am using a tape drive, I am using an external harddrive.
    By the way the UM switch seems to be only for tape drives....
    I'm getting closer but ...!
    sag

C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\sag\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Differential backup.bks" /n "Media created 10/01/2004 at 11:36 PM" /d "Set created 10/01/2004 at 11:36 PM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m differential /j "Diff Backup" /l:s /f "F:\Computer Backup files\differential.bkf"

it's definitely looking for a tape drive. not sure how else to get around that, since it was primarily designed for tape. definitely check out dantz retrospect instead.