Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bad EBAY experience--beware!!!

Bad EBAY experience--beware!!!

Sold shortwave portable radio on EBAY--buyer paid via money order.

Radio was checked just prior to shipment and was OK .

About 5 days later- i receive email frm buyer--he wass irate--- etc becasue the radio allegedly arrived dead with the case broken.

I replieds stating radio checked/fine as shipped and any damage my telephone machine and hanging upmust have occurred in transit--i advised him to file claim wth usps (shipper) as unit insured for shipment.

since then- we have exchanged emails--he has been very nasty (posted negative feedback to my EABY account without trying to finally resolve the matter using very accusatory languaue)

In summary- he is demanding a refund..and..wants refund in his hands before returning radio.

Additionally- he has been calling my answering machine several times per day and hanging up (no message)...and has threatened to involve his lawyer!

The matter was referred to EBAY's 'Square Trade" medication service--they havent helped much..

Does this sound like a scam? I note the buyer has another radio for sale similar to mine...buyer claims mine was purchased "using funds from a church for a wheelchair-bound handicapped person"--if this is true--why doesnt he give his EBAY advertised radio to the handicapped individual?

Either buyer trying to get another radio for free-or radio damaged by USPS (buyer claims he took radio to USPS who "insisted" they did not damage it..no actual ckaim filed..)

Anyway- have decided to give the refund...as I want to maintain my near perfect EBAY rating (altho negative feedback has already been polaced there by this buyer..)

How would mebers have handled this?

Has anyone dealt with similar experiences selling equipment?--how have u handled it?

thanx.
    ed

I would let him do whatever he wants, if he really wants to file legal action, you can very easily just show the "nasty" emails and it is a form of harassment to call like that. Don't just take this lying down.
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

I would hunt him down and beat the tar out of him.

I'd keep the money and tell the guy what to do with himself. If what you're telling us is true, it won't end up in court.

unfortunately- the guy may be a maniac--the tyone of his feedback and communications with the mediator suggest that---also--hes 3000 miles away from me. maybe better part of valor is to just send the refund and be done with it?

i am now veryu dwon on selling stuff via EBAY--ur better off having buyer see the item operating before purchasing. That wayt--if they then say "defective": they have no argument.

an ebay buyer can always claim an item was dead on arrival and demands refund..they can cause trouble ( negative feedbacking, complaining to EBAY, filing fraud claims etc)--maybe better just tp refund.

he problme is--neither side can proove its case: it's each party's word...and if u want to continue using EBAY--problems.

EBAY tends to side with buyers,
    ed

video tape the item before you send in full working order then they cannot argue just send a copy of the video. also complain to ebay why they dont help. if they guy is pranking you and being provokative then surely he should be banned from ebay. im sure it says somewhere that isnt allowed in the terms and conditions.

--emotionally, I like the physical options--but-realistically: the videotaping sounds good...except--how do u document the date of the taping (buyer cld claim item damaged by buyer after tape was prepared!).

from now on- i will state in "terms-conditions" of ebay sales that no refund will be available for any reason..that should absolve any post- sale refunding responsibilities.
    ed

MAKE him send it back COD. (cash on delivery) You write the check to UPS or whomever and they send him the money. Don't get burned twice by the same guy.

do you not have a date stamp function on your camera. or tape something with the date on it that doesnt change. something on the TV that sets itself. you dont want to lose sale because of your policy. i wouldnt buy from somebody with that policy, because of the fear of it being damaged, it makes one suspicouse when you say that no refund under any circumstances.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by porsch1909
    i wouldnt buy from somebody with that policy
    Me neither

Sounds like a scam to me, there are too many coincidences what with him selling a copy of the Radio he bought from you and the church fund paying for the one you sent him, and since when do church-going folk use foul and abusive language or even get riled up for that matter!

If I were American I would sort it out the American way - Send him a horses head in the post, he'll get the message, or just tell him to go ahead with his civil suit!

As for your Ebay record - Post a reply to his poor rating letting other's know what kind of person he is and how you believe he has tried to scam you out of a perfectly good Radio, along with a link to the Radio he has for sale! You may lose your perfect rating, but after having read the story (as we have here) - most folk would probably rather deal with you than him.

[edit] Can't you also post a poor rating under his name with the whole story? [/edit]

I agree that the "No Refunds" clause will only hurt you more than anyone else.

Last edited by Strawbs; 09-27-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Originally posted by Strawbs
    If I were American I would sort it out the American way - Send him a horses head in the post
    The british way is to send the whole horse minus head

Bit expensive on the postage tho

The problem with leaving feedback about this JERK is that you only get 80 characters or something like that.

Something like:

Beware! Extremely abusive,won't aproach UPS for insurance claim. LIAR & SCAMMER!!!

Also, approach the fraud section of ebay.

DO NOT give this creep the money. If he wants it he should aproach UPS, especially if the item was insured anyway, thats what insurance is for.

Contact your phone providor and/or police and get them to keep a record of the prank calls and tell this guy that you have done so. He will be very unlikely to persist.
    Alternatley you might want to make some calls to HIM, say at 2am, 3am and 4am, I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Most ebay transactions are carried out with no hassle at all, I've completed 8 myself in the past 2 weeks, all of them smooth.
    But just sometimes you get a total jerk trying to rip legitimate ebayers off. You might be able to get him kicked off.

I sold a brother plain paper fax to a guy the other side of the country. He claimed it was broken when he received it and wanted me to give him a refund. Even though he didn't ask for it, I had sent the unit via express/insured post. However he kept on trying to get me to give him his 'refund' directly and the type of damage to the printer would change 1st it was a crack in the casing, then a faulty power supply....
    I have no idea what happened, I just kept saying go to the post office and report that you received it damaged.

I think we need to slow down here .......

Who paid for the insured carriage ? (that would be you eshort)

The goods need returning to sender in order to make a claim (that also would be you eshort)

Only then do we go down the road of making a claim & or refund.

Till those two steps have been completed theres not a lot anyone can do to rectify this situation