Thread: Distributed Computing Results?

Distributed Computing Results?

I was just wondering, what are some of the results from distributed computing? Anybody know?
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

The WU's everybody talks about are Work Units. They are from the SETI project by Berkeley University. Radio waves from space are collected at Arceibo Radio Observatory. Berkeley then records the data and distributes it. Tehya re looking for waves from space that can be syntheticly generated.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    -- Mathias

I understand that, and that is is used in the medical field too. But I was asking if there where positive results that anyone knew of that has come from distributed computing?
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

I read about a couple new drugs being used in cancer treatment that were discovered through the use of distributed computing. I think it was the find-a-drug project, if I remember correctly. There has also been a few mysterious radio signals comming from the seti project noone can explain away yet. Asides from that, I have no idea if anything else has ever happened. In fact, my heard is about to be disolved since it doesn't seem like there is too much benefit to these projects. All the time, effort and money spent of hardware and the electric bill to keep these things running isn't worth it anymore.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Johnny Fist
    All the time, effort and money spent of hardware and the electric bill to keep these things running isn't worth it anymore.
    Bahh Humbug

Not my $$. I don't even pay for the electrons. I get paid for the time and effort too.