Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EPoX is AWESOME!

EPoX is AWESOME!

I just got my 8RDA3+ This thing is a dreeeeaaam.

Came with a POWER PACK!!! MOSFET and PLL sinks and a mini screw driver!!! How awesome is that?! Stock HS on the SB and a real nice HSF on the NB... which I'm replacing anyways.

But how do I tell what rev it is?? There is no sticker on it that says like there was on my Abit.

I'm so pumped... this board is going to be awesome! I really want to know what rev it is though... its 3.something.

OH WOW - And I just noticed it does have the mounting holes for a waterblock!!! My day just got 10x better!!!!

Edit: Just opened up the manual heh... its rev3.2
    Last edited by dragflameson; 09-20-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Here's a pic of the board stock:

Here's a pic of the board with the stock mosfet sinks on and the Thermalright NB-1C Northbridge HSF:

It also came with purple rounded ide cables to match the two DIMM slots and AGP slot

I have the EpoX 8RDA3i. It is an awesome board. Very stable and has a plathora of overclocking and customization options. It doesn't identify my Athlon XP Mobile correctly (Identifies it as K7 Processor), but everything is rock-solid and FAST. Not bad for a $60 board.

dragflameson, first thing you'll want to do is thoroughly check out your board.
    I have the vers. 1 which SATA2 did not work, and Dual Channel Memory didn't work, except when the ram were in Dimm2 and Dimm3 or 1 and 3. If a 3rd stick was added Dual Channel quit working, and Dual Channel did not work when installed in Dimms 1 and 2 (same color slots). I RMAd the board, Epox sent back another board. Refurb (of course), vers. 1, that was even worse. SATA2 still did not work and Dual Channel only worked in Dimms 2 and 3.
    I no longer recommend Epox, even though I use to. My last 3 motherboards were Epox, by the way.

Thanks for the heads up Imperion - Once I get it running I'll check everything out and make sure its all working fine. SATA doesnt matter to me, but dual channel does, so I'll be sure to check that.

What should I enable/disable in the BIOS for extra performace before I install Windows? I think ACPI is default disabled, anything else though??

Mr Miyagi, they dont seem like bad boards at all, esp for the price like you said - I really think I'm going to like this board!

Thanks

Ultimate Member
    The SATA2 works perfectly on my rev 1.0, as does the dual memory channeling in all three slots.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues, Imperion1. SATA problems would stem from the Sil3112 chip, and dual channel a problem with the northbridge and not the board. It may have gotten damaged somehow however.

All I know is that I'm running 1GB of RAM in this thing at 200MHz and super-tight timings in dual channel mode with 2600+ mobile at 2.5GHz and no problems whatsoever.

Dragflameson - you have the rev. 2 voltage regulators. They are supposedly more efficient and should help your CPU clock higher.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 09-24-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Originally posted by causticVapor
    Dragflameson - you have the rev. 2 voltage regulators. They are supposedly more efficient and should help your CPU clock higher.
    Awesome I cant wait to get it running! Still waiting for my whole water cooling system to get up... thats what I built it for, this board and a new 2600-M

Yea, but its been 2 different boards. Unless the second board that Epox sent back (refurb) had the same problem.
    Sata1 works just fine.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by dragflameson
    Awesome I cant wait to get it running! Still waiting for my whole water cooling system to get up... thats what I built it for, this board and a new 2600-M
    Yeah I have my 2600-m up to 2.5GHz...granted it's running at 1.9v, but it's completely stable and cool-running! You may have more luck with yours.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Imperion1
    Yea, but its been 2 different boards. Unless the second board that Epox sent back (refurb) had the same problem.
    Sata1 works just fine.
    Maybe just a bad batch? I've been unlucky that way too in the past.

All I can say for this is that my board works fine - sata1 and sata2 are in raid 0 mode with two WD360GDs, and have been so for about three months.

Ultimate Member
    Worst comes to worst, you can always get this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-219&depa=0

I know it defeats the purpose of having it onboard, but it's the exact same thing - a sil3112 chip chained to the pci bus.

I'm only using the SATA because its there. If it had 4 IDE ports, then I'd be connected to that instead.

dragflameson have you not already overclocked you cpu to like 2.66 Ghz or something lol. are you expecting more with this motherboard. which one did you have before.

Yes, I had 2.65GHz stable for 5 hours of Prime on the Abit NF7-S but then I broke that board and it was pissing me off anyways, so I got this new EPoX, and yes this new motherboard with combo of water cooling I am expecting more

Ultimate Member
    2.65... you lucky..never mind. 2.5 is pretty good for me.

As for watercooling...the right mix and you'll hit 3!
    Last edited by causticVapor; 10-03-2004 at 11:51 PM.