Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Creating a FPS game ( Project WBD )"

Creating a FPS game ( Project WBD )

As the title mentions, I have been going over this and have brought a coule of ideas allready. For some info go to here http://www.skyos.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=18881. Now we have been looking for a engine to base the game off of we have looked at the cube engine and the Irrlicht engine if anyone would know amy other engines that may would you please post them on here thanks. Also as of current the project includes just two people really
    1-leader-semi coder
    1-person who might try a shot at developing levels
    1-storyliner-music dev

This project will take along time before any thing comes out playable since I'm just a beginner programmer, noe if any one would like to join up and help or give ideas thats cool. Though we really need someone who knows how to code better then me, or anyone who knows how to moddle.
    Thanks for attention
    Tech^
    Last edited by Tech^salvager; 09-22-2004 at 10:15 AM.

the linux community tried this once. Look up "high risk."

Go for it, my prediction is that it will die if you don't start making it IMMEDIATELY.

I checked it out. Seems it went down due to no artists.
    Tech^ oh and here is the Irrlicht engine http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

You probably need a lot, an artist for renderings and storyboards and to do texture mapping, an editor to work out the script and storyline, probably a modeler and animator unless you are one of the lucky few to get someone that can model, texture map, and animate really well. Don't forget lighting which if not done right will ruin a game, not to mention like you said someone to develop levels with experience in creating good flows and a couple experienced programmers to make it all work. Its quite an undertaking to say the least.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Ultimate Member
    Lets not forget good map designers

Originally posted by RamonGTP
    Lets not forget good map designers
    Hmm do you know how to create maps RamonGTP?

Ultimate Member
    lol, i know nothing in the relm of programming. My knowledge is limited to making VERY simple .bat files. I was just trying to help you cover all the bases.

Why not just creat a mode for some game?

Well as of right now I am focusing on coding and learning about it
    Thanks for support though
    Tech^

Have you looked at SpeedTreeRT v1.7 ? Their engine is pretty good.

www.planetdeusex.com/tnm

We rock.

Building a game is HARD WORK. I've poured in over 1.5 years into our project. It will totally kick A, and though the Deus Ex community is small our fans are excited to see it. My own levels are way better than the original Deus Ex. We've made killer progress this summer and realisticly speaking we may release in a few months. Anyone check out our promo video? lol. We improved so much of that already it's obsolete.

Free game engines abound. Even the Quake III engine is free to use (all hail Lord Carmak). And there are others too which sport fancy shmancy DX8.1 (Nebula is one) which are FREE engines. Yay!

I can only state that my level design experience is heavy in the Unreal engine realm. The new engine costs a mere $350,000 USD. :| I really like the Lithtech engine (NOLF modding was a tenth as hard as the unreal engine); the Serious engine is absolutely gorgeous and craves pure power; QIII engine modding is a 'caulking' experience.

So you have two of ya. Well, you need a good coder, a writer, a texture artist, a modeler, several level designers , a sound guy, a music guy, an FTP site for seamless passing of files between team members. Our team has sported about 40ish members, many transient. Pain in the neck, but eventually we'll be [not rich] and famous for raising the bar.

Any of this helpful?

ß
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 09-19-2004 at 03:08 AM.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

I once mapped for a QII-based game but only for a while since it was just too hard to work with a PIII (compiling in particular).

Good luck.

Originally posted by stalkersoftware
    Have you looked at SpeedTreeRT v1.7 ? Their engine is pretty good.
    Do you have a link to that? I can't seem to find it.

Originally posted by Beeblequix
    [url]Any of this helpful?
    ß
    Does Quake3 engine use opengl?
    Also just to state this again I can't use directx sence I will want to port it to Skyos.

News Update
    Ok we have decided to go with the Irrlicht engine to base the game on. I an going to be working on the part of the FP view and being able to load that up into a .exe which will probably take a week or two to finsih becasue my main system is not here. We need to decide on a GUI to use so let the Ideaas flow in.
    Bass can you do Textures? Have done modeling before? I am not going to make fun of anybody who has never worked on any of this type of stuff so don't worry Bass if you haven't. Just bring up ideas of what you could do also if you can meet us on irc.skyos.net to dissucs stuff ok

Thanks for your attention every body.

Also Strestout may make some music up for the game in a couple of weeks.

The team as of now
    Tech^salvager-leader-semi coder
    Nuclear.bomber-modeler
    Strestout-Storyliner (after most ideas are there) may be making up some music.
    Bass is TBA later

Thank you team for helping out on project WBD.