Thread: Anti Virus

Anti Virus

Well I changed my AV programme from AVG free addition to Kaspersky personal, I ran a scan with AVG and it reported no virus, I then disabled AVG and installed Kaspersky and it found a couple of Trojan’s. Me thinks OK you get what you pay for, so maybe I will buy Kaspersky when the trial is out.

During the Kaspersky scan it came across spybot SD and it showed this>>

So I am wondering why spybot would deny access to files???
    Anyone no the answer to this?

Thanks……rob.
    http://rebon.net

It might be items that spybot has quarantined. Try deleting all the object in spybot under recovery and scan again.

Doh, you are very right, how stupid of me no to realise that

Thank you for the help
    http://rebon.net

NP. Glad it wasn't something serious.

Kaspersky Personal seems to be the best AV program around. I would stick with it and use AVG as a secondary offline AV program.

OK, so as a novice, what I am gathering from all of this is that a free, relaible AV software does not exist. I just recently started working for Geek Squad at my local Best Buy and we encourage customers to purchase the Norton's AV software package. I know that this is a good suite to work with, but with my low income at the present, I'd like to find a "good, free" AV software... I know, I know... TINSTAAFL (there is no such thing as a free lunch)
    Yep, just a da Kaje

We had a detailed discussion of AV programs at the link below.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...ight=Kaspersky

Suffice it to say, I do not like or use Norton software any more. It is a nice general-purpose solution for the general public but it has a tendency to break, and break often I found. This is not acceptable for an AV program that the end user will be relying on.

Kaspersky is probably the best AV program around and if I were in the market for one this would be it. The Personal version is ideal. There is also a Professional version but the Personal version will do just fine and is cheaper to buy and upgrade and so forth.

AVG Free Edition is ideal as a free version. Unlike Kaspersky, it has been reported to be less robust and updates are less frequent too. Generally AVG Free Edition, Ad-Aware and SpyBot (both freeware versions), and freeware firewall, e.g., Sygate or ZoneAlarm, should keep your machine pretty clean and protected.

If you want the best then I would get Kaspersky Personal, PestPatrol and use Sygate (freeware) or ZoneAlarm (freeware).

I suppose I should try Kaspersky, if it has a free trial just to see if it catches anything Antivir (Free...Thanks BPB) hasn't.
    Antivir guard has caught garbage online before it has a chance to do any damage and offers options to quarrantine, delete, or wipe.
    Quick wipe and I'm on my way and whenever I've double checked, it comes up clean.

You have nothing to lose by trying Kaspersky Personal. I know it has had a major face-lift making it easier for end-users to navigate through and understand. You do not need the Professional version and the interface and options are obtuse even for well-informed AV users. It is going through a beta stage as I have tested it. It is on the line of the Personal interface edition.

If you get any interesting results, post back.