Thread: Should CD Rom Drive work on ATA 100 EIDE port

Should CD Rom Drive work on ATA 100 EIDE port

will a CD Crom Drive work on an ATA 100 EIDE port with a 40 pin cable?

I was wondering I am troublshooting a computer that I cannot get any Hard Drive to work with. I am suspecting a bad EIDE port.
    I can boot up from a CD and format a Hard Drive but then when the CPU reboots it never finds the Hard Drive. I have tried 3 different HD's and moved the jumpers from Master, Cable Select, and Single Drive. when the HD's are attached to the ATA 100 port the BIOS doesn't automatically recognize the HD's.

But I thought I would try to attach the CD Rom Drive to the ATA 100 port and the HD to the slower port when I do this the ATA 100 port recognizes the CD Rom drive but when it starts the Windows Setup the Screen gets corrupted immediatley and locks up.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ultimate Member
    a CD should have no trouble with the 40wire cables. Sounds like the onboard controller card may have gone bad.

what's your exact setup? are you using a RAID controller or a pci ata controller?

It is a compaq computer that I am working on for someone. no Raid it just has 2 onboard EIDE Ports. at first I thought they had a bad hard drive; I booted up and in the POST menu it said SMART detects bad HD. So I started swapping with a couple of drives laying around here but none worked. I however am going to add in a PCI controller to see if I can get that working.

EIDE ATA/100 port 1 had one HD attached to it.
    EIDE Port 2 had two Cd Rom Drives attached to it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

it doesn't matter if it's an onboard IDE port, the cdrom should work fine. The only time I've seen problems is with RAID controllers, since many of them don't support ATAPI drives.

are you sure the hdds are good? SMART is fairly accurate.