Thread: I Think I Fried my Mobo or Proc

I Think I Fried my Mobo or Proc

FIC VI13L MB with Pentium 4 2.4Ghz No O.C. Until yesterday had 512 MB DDR 2700 1 120 GB Maxtor, 1 Sony CD-R, 1 Sony DVD-+R Dual Layer Burner. ATI 9600XT and one 3 port Firewire card.
    Has ran solid for about 8 months since I put it togeather. Running Win 2K Pro SP4. Yesterday at work I added 1 512MB stick Of Cruicial DDR 2700 and 1 Western Digital 120 GB Drive. I was concerned that my 350 watt Generic PSU couldn't handle the extra ram and Drive so I Tested it by Burning a data DVD, 2 music CDs and a video DVD with several picture slide shows and 5 different videos with Music. I even ran FarCry for about 20 minutes. Every thing worked fine. The Video took a while and task manager had the cpu usage to 100% for quite a while, but it finished and played fine on my home DVD players. I loaded the machine in the car drove home, hooked it up and No video. All the fans spinning, drives spin up, CD ejects disks. No Beeps, No Smoke, No nothing. I tried another monitor. No good. My thought on this is I have a USB Scanner, Printer, Mouse, and a VideOh device at home that I didn't have at work. When I connected all these devices is it possible they somehow blew my MB or processor? Remember I added a hard Drive and another stick of Ram. This morning I have Swapped Video Card, Ram, disconnected all my drives and put in a Good Anatec 400 watt PSu with no difference. I even removed the Processor and fired the machine up hoping to get some kind of response, No way.
    Since I don't have another P4 processor or motherboard that is compatible I am looking at a new Mobo and CPU. Unless someone has another Idea.

Sorry I ran on but just wanted to be accurate

Thanks
    Will

Pull the motherboard and all of the devices. Place the MB on a non-conductive surface and connect the MB to the new Power supply and ram and video ONLY. Short the power pins and see if it will boot. That eliminates many of the possible problem devices.
    See if the led's work and fans spin.
    Luck
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Just Finished trying that about 15 Min ago. All Fans spin, well CPU and Video card fans. still no video, beeps or anything. I think I am going to have to talk the wife into a new Motherboard and Processor. I am looking at Newegg Albatron "PX865PE PRO" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL and Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
    It's just a little better than what I have and it is under 250$. I have already spent too much this last month on a machine that was going to last me at least a year.

If no one else has any suggestions I am going to start the ordering process when I get home.

Thanks BillForce
    Will

Is the 12v power supply for the cpu good and tight?

The problem is almost never the CPU.
    MS MCP, MCSE

mrrobotto- Yeah both psus I tried clicked in and seemed tight.
    BPB- So are you thinking the CPU blew, is it possible that hooking those extra USB devices could have blown it out?

I highly doubt the CPU is fried. The motherboard probably but the CPU.. doubtful.

My Bad it's 4:30 in the am and I am not all there, Bipolarbill stated quite clearly it is probably NOT the CPU. Any other suggestions on the replacement MoBo besides the Albatron I mentioned earlier

The Albatron is a fine choice.
    MS MCP, MCSE