Thread: Windows XP Sharing permissions

Windows XP Sharing permissions

Hi, first some background on my setup.

I have a cable line running into my desktop, then a network bridge sharing that connection wirelessly between my laptop and via a crossover cable to my friends computer.

I have files that I want shared to my laptop but not on my friends computer. I have simple file sharing disabled but I cannot locate the user on my laptop to allow access. When I click "location" I only get my desktop to look for users in....

TIA,
    Frank

PS, They are all members of the same Workgroup.
    Last edited by klatty; 08-30-2004 at 01:22 AM.

do you mean an ethernet bridge device?

did you add the same usernames and passwords to each system? create two groups. set NTFS permissions to each group, then put the appropriate users in those groups. keep share permissions open. share permissions don't do jack if he logs in on your computer locally.

Yes, I bridge the wireless connection (between my desktop and my laptop) and a crossover connection (between my desktop and my friends desktop) to share the cable internet connection.

All the computer log in locally as administrator. - But, you are saying that if my friends computer logs in locally to his machine as "steve" I would have to create a local account "steve" on my desktop and give that one the permissions I would like steve to have on the network?

I actually had my computer set up last year so my guest account could not get into certain folders, but I completely forget how I did it hah.
    Last edited by klatty; 08-30-2004 at 09:34 AM.

I was asking if you meant a hardware wireless ethernet bridge or the software bridge in windows networking. two different animals.

you could do guest also, but the same rules apply. create groups with specific permissions. assign the guest to the group with the proper permissions.

run lusrmgr.msc or go to computer management.

Oh, Sorry, it is the network bridge that Windows XP creates

Any ideas?

Basically the problem is that I cannot find the users to add permissions for them...

what do you mean you can't find them? you need to manually add each username and password to each system. there is no central user database, aka active directory, since you aren't in a domain.

this is covered in the "best of" thread.

ah gotcha, thanks, thats what i was wondering, if it would pick up the users on the other computers. thank you.