Thread: Wide Range Wireless Network

Wide Range Wireless Network

I want to broadcast my wireless network across my neighborhood. I realize that i have to get a lmr cable to run from my access point to an antenna. I was wondering what power of antenna i would need to broadcast my signal about 5 miles or so. In my area there are no skyscrapers, i have a mounting point that is higher than any buildings around, and there are only some trees that would get in the way. What are the approximate distances i can expect from 12, 15, and 18 dbi omnidirectional antennas and what would i have to do to extend my signal up to 5 miles?
    thanks
    ak
    Last edited by a_katbi17; 08-25-2004 at 05:55 PM.

What I would look at is High-Gain Antennas
    I think SMC are not bad.

High-Gain Antennas extend range of wireless networks.

SMCANT-DIFP11 Wireless High-Gain 11dBi Flat Panel Antenna and SMCANT-LP Lightning Protector extend and protect 2.4 GHz wireless networks. Former consists of low-profile, wide dispersion directional antenna that extends point-to-point range up to 9 mi under optimal conditions. Useable with or without amplification, lightning protector provides surge protection to safeguard electronic equipment and incorporates N-Female to N-Male bulkhead connectors.

I prefer Cisco stuff as its top notch and works reliably first time every time so far.
    Got an AP1230
    Im saving for one of these beauties :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/

If you have the cash check Ciscos range.
    For those that are interested in learning more than your simple SSID and Wap settings on yer wireless network check this link - gives good basics and detailed techy stuff if you fancy dabblin in long range stuff :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1004552

If not try Linksys (owned by Cisco)

Alternatively buy a tin of pringles
    That way , at least ye'll have something to eat after struggling for
    hours to get the **** thing working!!!

Lol

Last edited by omendata; 08-27-2004 at 09:53 PM.
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

OK i read all that information and i understand what im looking for. Now what i simply need to know is what dbi my omnidirectional antenna would need to be to broadcast 5 miles or so in suburbial conditions. I read on some pages of the cisco links that their 14dbi Antenna could broadcast around 6.5miles at 11mbps, which would be great for me, but i need it to be omnidirectional and compatible with my Linksys Wireless-G Access Point. Could someone please refer a product?
    thanks
    ak

Update: would a product like this http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2415u_pro.php work with my current configuration ?
    Last edited by a_katbi17; 08-28-2004 at 05:22 PM.

With that power it should be a breeze.

Try these

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/wireless/calc.htm
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Originally posted by a_katbi17
    Broadcast around 6.5miles at 11mbps, which would be great for me, but i need it to be omnidirectional and compatible with my Linksys Wireless-G Access Point. Could someone please refer a
    You will have to omni directional after the Bridging of the signal with unidirectional Antennae, Omni directional will not go to such a distance.

For such a distance you need to compensate for the curvature of our Planet, and or differences in heights between the two places.

I.e. Both Antennae need to be very high. You will have to use some sort of geodesic/survey tool to measure the height and make sure that you are really pointing to the second Antenna.

Length of 2.4GHz coax cable cause very fast RF deterioration. I.e. you needed to Install the APs on the Antennae masts and run CAT5e down to your source.

All of this must be adequately protected from the Weather elements, other wise one lighting storm and ““your are back to the Future””.

This link has info about Bridging options (not related to the distance).

Link to: Wirelessly Bridging Home / SOHO Network.

Last edited by cat5e; 08-28-2004 at 07:15 PM.

I just Found a nice helpful link: Radio Link Calculation.

hmm..maybe im not thinking on the same lines as everyone else. I have my cable connection coming into my house, connected to a standard router, connected to a Linksys Access Point. I have 2 laptops with wireless capabilities. Within a certain range, about 300ft, they can access the wireless connection. What i want to do is extend that range from 300ft to 5 miles. So what i would do is connected some lmr400 cabling to the Wireless access point. On the other end of that lmr cable would be an omnidirectional antenna. It is like an extension of my access point, broadcasting the same signal, correct?
    Therefore i wouldnt need 2 antennas and all that wireless bridging stuff, i just need to know how far approximately a 14dbi antenna would broadcast my signal so that my laptops would be able to pick up the signal.
    thanks
    ak

What you are basically saying is that the Atlantic Ocean just a Big swimming Pool.

Yeah doing what you plan to do might extend the capacities of the Laptops from 300’ to about 600’-800' at best.

haha so basically a 14dbi omni antenna is only going to increase my range from 300' to 800' and thats it??
    Then how is it that people are creating Hotspots, like at this link: http://www.personaltelco.net/static/index.html and http://www.nycwireless.net/buildnode_start.html
    Form what i read, what i just described should be good enough to broadcast at least in a 2mi radius.
    this isnt making sense
    how far will a14 or 18 dbi omni directional antenna broadcast a signal to be picked up by laptops is all i want to know. 800 ft? or 2 miles?
    ak

Omnidirectional doesnt go as far as unidirecitonal because of the power utilization on maximum wireless spread and i dont think omni will get you much past the 2-3 mile mark if even that
    You need a unidirectional antenna.

You keep quoting dbi
    What you forget is the power output of the unit - its that that gives it the maximum distance.

Nobody I know uses omnidirectional for that type of distance coverage thats probably why no-one on here can give you a definite answer

It all depends on the equipment you intend to purchase

Have a word with KWEBB on the PM - Hes the resident wireless expert and should be able to give you some help and advivce!

4.4 Using Amplifiers.

Amplifiers can be used to significantly increase signal strength. There will be more discussion on this topic in the next version of the doc.

I would just suck it and see or try building a pringle booster as I at first suggested - you may be very surprised at the range of these little beauties especially if you make em bigger and better and site them high on a mast. My pal has one that does over 10 miles 802.11b but he does also have a signal booster amp - things to think about.

You can use an omni for a 5 mile shot, or longer for that matter. That is with various caveats that I doubt seriously you'll want to get into. As Cat5e has already inferred and/or talked about, for a 5 miles shot you'll need towers, at least on one side. You could use a high gain omni at the parent and directionals at the child sites but again, elevated anywhere from 50 to 100 feet, depending on the where the two sites are in relation to sea level. ie..one much higher than the other, on a hill/mountain etc.... None of this really matters.

You said "and there are only some trees that would get in the way"

At this point you are done. You can forget about it until you get over the trees, and not just barely. Enough for a clear fresnel zone. Not trying to be rude, but your out of your element from the sounds of it. Creating a Wireless WAN, especially a 360 degree WWAN at up to 5 miles is extremely dificult and in most cases basically impossible. UNLESS you own all the airspace in that area. Then you'd have a shot, with towers and very good equipment.

ok thank you everyone who responded you helped me understand quite a bit.
    Now in that section that omendata quoted, 4.4 Amplifiers, where can i learn more about amps and how they correlate to the AP and Antenna?
    Again, thank you
    ak