Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: best way to connect up two hdds and dvd

It doesn't cause problems. An IDE can only read then write, not do both at the same time.
    If you copy from Primary Master (1rst Harddrive) to the Secondary Master (burner), then the 1rst Harddrive can read while the burner is writing.
    On the Secondary Slave (2nd Harddrive) to the Secondary Master (burner), the 2nd Harddrive will read a few mb's of data then write to the burner. The Secondary IDE will read then write a few times, going back and forth.

On another note, if both harddrives are on the same IDE, and you copy data from one harddrive to the other, then one harddrive will read a few mb's then the other harddrive will write. Doing a back and forth thing again. Read then write, then read then write.

And the harddrive no longer runs as slow as the slowest device connected to the same IDE. Its the read and write thing again.

the whole point, i think, is that read, then write is half the speed of constant read and constant write. so i think it would cause problems like bassman said.

Same thing would happen when trying to copy from one harddrive to the other. If both harddrives are on the same
    IDE. Best bet:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-022&depa=0
    Its a controller card that you can attach harddrives or cdrom devices to.

Connecting SATA, PATA and DVD-R in one machine

Hello,

I seem to be having the same question as tremendous only a little different. Here it goes:

I have a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80Gb (S?)ATA 133 drive attached to the primary bus as Master, nothing on Primary Slave, on Secondary Master a NEC ND-3540A DVD-R and for the moment on Secondary Slave an old CD-RW drive (planning on giving it a try on out-of-the-window flight. I want to connect a Maxtor 6L080P0 80Gb PATA 133 hard drive. Where should I put it? As said I would throw away the cd-rw, would use 1 drive for WinXP and 1 for Ubuntu 7.10, so burning DVDs would be done from both drives. For me it's important to be able to transfer big amounts of data from HDD to HDD (due to my work). That's it. Thanks for the help!
    Davor

P.S: my machine specs:

MB GigaByte GA-7VT600 1394 KT60
    AMD Athlon 2200+ XP
    768 Mb RAM (I know I know a strange number...not my fault)
    Ah yes and 80 conductor cable on Primary and 40 conductor on Secondary

If the main concern is transferring files between hard drives, you should put the other hard drive on the secondary IDE channel. But, if you find that burning DVD is of paramount importance and you're not getting the performance you need, perhaps you should put both hard drives on the same channel and the DVD drive on its own channel (but this will definitely slow down disk to disk transfer).
    But anyway, an IDE controller card is really cheap and it'd solve your problem in no time: http://www.google.com/products?q=ide...earch+Products

thanks for the help.
    I was wondering if there are any conflicts in using SATA and PATA toghether on 1 bus? And for the PCI controller - any troubles at booting? As far as I know (and it's not far) PCI is detected after HDD?

Thanks
    Davor

Quote Originally Posted by tremendous
    the whole point, i think, is that read, then write is half the speed of constant read and constant write. so i think it would cause problems like bassman said.
    You asked for advice and you got some very good advice. Are you just going to argue the point now or try some configurations to see what works the best for you?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    It will pick up the controller before Windows starts to bootup and unless you change the options in the BIOS, it will not boot to card.

Page 2-14 of the manual tells you how to set the boot order. And the correct setting to boot from the controller is SCSI.

I got the manual from http://support.asus.com/download/dow...&model=A7N8X-X

Quote Originally Posted by naptownman
    You asked for advice and you got some very good advice. Are you just going to argue the point now or try some configurations to see what works the best for you?
    That was 4 years ago, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCfromCT
    That was 4 years ago, mate.
    And good advice never goes out of style!