Thread: Connectin 1 SATA, 1PATA and 1 DVD-R

Connectin 1 SATA, 1PATA and 1 DVD-R

sorry for doubleposting:

Hello,

I seem to be having the same question as tremendous only a little different. Here it goes:

I have a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80Gb (S?)ATA 133 drive attached to the primary bus as Master, nothing on Primary Slave, on Secondary Master a NEC ND-3540A DVD-R and for the moment on Secondary Slave an old CD-RW drive (planning on giving it a try on out-of-the-window flight. I want to connect a Maxtor 6L080P0 80Gb PATA 133 hard drive. Where should I put it? As said I would throw away the cd-rw, would use 1 drive for WinXP and 1 for Ubuntu 7.10, so burning DVDs would be done from both drives. For me it's important to be able to transfer big amounts of data from HDD to HDD (due to my work). That's it. Thanks for the help!
    Davor

P.S: my machine specs:

MB GigaByte GA-7VT600 1394 KT60
    AMD Athlon 2200+ XP
    768 Mb RAM (I know I know a strange number...not my fault)
    Ah yes and 80 conductor cable on Primary and 40 conductor on Secondary

Ultimate Member
    Put it as primary slave. The Maxtor controller inside the primary master is most likely to run the other Maxtor as slave correctly, and you've got a UDMA-6 capable cable there already.

Then keep or ditch the CDRW as you please. Mind that "old" CDRW drives often aren't half bad in reading scratched or "copy protected" audio disks.

thanks Peter M!
    you think there may be any conflict in connecting a sata and pata drive on one bus? since pata is slower won't it slow down the sata drive as well?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You can't possibly connect a SATA and a PATA drive on the same bus. They use completely different connectors on the cables. You are confused on what type of drive each one is, so double check them again. It sounds like you have three PATA drives (two hard drives and one CDR).

Ultimate Member
    It's not a SATA drive if it's on an 80-wire cable.