Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HL2 Screens: Doom who and Far what?

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    After the severe dissappointment Doom3 has turned out to be . . . not getting Doomed again
    I don't understand how anyone can feel this way about THE best looking game yet released. It is dark, it is linear, but it looks fantastic, is true to it's roots and it scares the living **** outta most people - I love it. I think you have to understand Doom3 for what it is - a classic and a brilliantly reaslised fps . . . no more, no less.

Having said that, the HL2 screenshots look amazing - we're in for a treat for sure. The HL2 demos also suggest greater environmental interactivity than with Doom3 and I would expect a more open style of play. Bring it on!
    Last edited by holoflux; 08-19-2004 at 12:20 AM.

I hope Half-Life 2 can support low-end computers. But the graphics are much better than Doom 3. I can say that it will be a bit better than Doom 3.
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

THERE IS NO AI! Just run around with noclip on, you'll notice that half the enemies don't even pay attention to you (mainly those which are in wait, you see it easily with Lost Souls as every single one is tied into a trigger it seems. Also you'll encounter about 90% less monsters (triggers like always perhaps? No.... ). Yes, I know this isn't how the game is intended to be played, but it shows just how script driven and non replayability it truly has. Also having had to replay it (from near the end of Delta Two a complete start over) I really have grown to dread the game so I had played around with it to see how it works out. In the end I just wanted to beat it to see how it ended in the end (pretty good ending actually, better than I anticipated, that is for sure). I eventually toggled god mode to get to Hell where I toggled it back off as the game dragged on so much that even the thought of losing health to have to go and find some grew tiresome. That is a sign your game is an utter failure. I'd rather have paid 50 bucks for pong (No thanks people, I can get my own copy if I want one ). They both operated off the same principle when they where released, nice graphics and repeditive gameplay. At least pong didn't hide it. So Doom 3 is pretty. Big deal. It is pretty, but pretty full of the same stuff ad nauseum. It is also full of an enviroment so non-interactive it is ridiculous that Carmack actually showed this off given his track record this one is a blemish, he's behind the times. iD beats Crytek, but Vavle with HL2 (as much as it kills me to say this) looks awfully good and has the physics to match or so it is touted. No hit locations though, has to be the best part, honestly - especially with per pixel detection.

I honestly REGRET buying Doom 3. Nice engine, **** poor gameplay - not to mention no location specific damage yet it has per pixel detection? Huh? It is just the same thing rehashed 101 different ways. If it was a third of it's length it'd be about right, maybe even less, but as it stands, it's own length and thus dependance on heavy scripting kills it in the end.

In short, nice engine John, where is the game? It is supposed to be enjoyable if it is a game, correct?

That is the short version, I could rant on much much more.
    Last edited by Someone Stupid; 08-19-2004 at 01:01 AM.

Ultimate Member
    To each their own guys... While I admit Doom3 didn't live up to the hype, (i don't think any game could have lived up to THAT much hype) but I did fine it pretty fun to play and I personally don't regret the purchase at all.

Nothing could live up to the hype Doom 3 was getting, but I like it, and it is graphicly amazing
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

This thread is about HL2, so I won't get into an argument about how good/bad Doom3 is . . . except to say that personally I am really enjoying playing the game and think it's a good benchmark for assessing the HL2 engine. I'd agree that Doom3 has got some mixed reviews; some people love it, others are less impressed - each to there own. My feeling is that iD have tried to stay true to the original in terms of gameplay and I rather like that they have.

Half-Life 2 is mostly set in an urban area and Morgan Freeman is mostly operating outside. Cool environment and graphics! I think the developers of Half-Life 2 are making sure that their creation can surpass Doom 3 in the end.

That's why Doom 3 is released before Half-Life 2 and we still don't know when will the latter be gold.
    Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Well at least some people are happy with what they got. I just happened not to be one of them.

HL2 looks from the screens that it will be putting Doom 3 to shame. If that is the case, graphics have made a huge leap forward on top of an already nice jump.

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    THERE IS NO AI! Just run around with noclip on, you'll notice that half the enemies don't even pay attention to you (mainly those which are in wait, you see it easily with Lost Souls as every single one is tied into a trigger it seems. Also you'll encounter about 90% less monsters (triggers like always perhaps? No.... ). Yes, I know this isn't how the game is intended to be played, but it shows just how script driven and non replayability it truly has. Also having had to replay it (from near the end of Delta Two a complete start over) I really have grown to dread the game so I had played around with it to see how it works out. In the end I just wanted to beat it to see how it ended in the end (pretty good ending actually, better than I anticipated, that is for sure). I eventually toggled god mode to get to Hell where I toggled it back off as the game dragged on so much that even the thought of losing health to have to go and find some grew tiresome. That is a sign your game is an utter failure. I'd rather have paid 50 bucks for pong (No thanks people, I can get my own copy if I want one ). They both operated off the same principle when they where released, nice graphics and repeditive gameplay. At least pong didn't hide it. So Doom 3 is pretty. Big deal. It is pretty, but pretty full of the same stuff ad nauseum. It is also full of an enviroment so non-interactive it is ridiculous that Carmack actually showed this off given his track record this one is a blemish, he's behind the times. iD beats Crytek, but Vavle with HL2 (as much as it kills me to say this) looks awfully good and has the physics to match or so it is touted. No hit locations though, has to be the best part, honestly - especially with per pixel detection.

I honestly REGRET buying Doom 3. Nice engine, **** poor gameplay - not to mention no location specific damage yet it has per pixel detection? Huh? It is just the same thing rehashed 101 different ways. If it was a third of it's length it'd be about right, maybe even less, but as it stands, it's own length and thus dependance on heavy scripting kills it in the end.

In short, nice engine John, where is the game? It is supposed to be enjoyable if it is a game, correct?

That is the short version, I could rant on much much more.
    Well put!

Any word on the multiplayer capabilities of DoomIII?

This game ( HL 2 ) is alot more lifelike and surreal than alot of games that have come before....

It is one of the main points of discussion in hte interview clips I have seen and heard ..and one of the screenshots in thsi post...on the first page (CYAN) ..where it shows the sunlight out of the shadows ..looks to em as close as I have ever seen to being like a real life photograph....

Don't worry about the graphics as I can tell already that they are goign to be about the best yet ever.....

And...yes...( Someonestupid) makes a good point about how some games are too short on AI and that is a big downfall...and again this game lets you roam and diictate from whereever you are the stroyline and where you are going next... I like that alot.....

I would spend fifty dollars or more for this game over Doom 3 any day...and that is not ot say that Doom 3 is a bad game ..just a bit too linear from the reactions of quite a few reviewers....

Oh ..and I have to add this....

It always seems to be a matter of comparison and that is not totally fair for gamers or anyone to do...
    Games are different and made for certain storylines and purposes put forth like anything else...
    Look at each for their own merits and accomplishments and dissapointments.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 08-19-2004 at 10:05 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Now I think the delay of Half-Life 2 is good because Valve can study the outcome of Doom 3 and modify a bit on its latest game. If Valve does not see this as an advantage, I don't know what to say anymore.

Since Doom 3 is not up to its expectation, Valve could use this opportunity to hype up Half-Life 2 before it goes gold.
    Give a man a fish
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

Ultimate Member
    Uh, how much more hype do you want? If anything it would be a BAD thing. I have no doubt HL2 will be awsome, but to hype anything up too much is just setting the stage for dissappointment.

Originally posted by RamonGTP
    To each their own guys... While I admit Doom3 didn't live up to the hype, (i don't think any game could have lived up to THAT much hype) but I did fine it pretty fun to play and I personally don't regret the purchase at all.
    I thought we all knew by now:

iD makes great engines, but not great games.

The original quake (not Q2) was pretty disapointing, but just look at what valve did with the engine - Half Life.

Ultimate Member
    Valve didnt even use the full Quake 2 engine for HL, they used a bastardized Quake1/Quake2 engine mix

--Jakk

Originally posted by cbh
    Half-Life 2 is mostly set in an urban area and Morgan Freeman is mostly operating outside.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    morgan freeman! did anyone else catch that?
    morgan freeman and urban area... so i guess we are talking about the movie SWAT now?
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing