Thread: Tranmission distance for Wireless LANs

Tranmission distance for Wireless LANs

I just ordered a Dell 8600 Laptop with a built in 802.11 a/b/g card. I am going to need to buy a wireless router (perferably with firewall). I am looking at the Linksys 802.11g model as well as the netgear one that is rated at 108MBits. I am also open to other suggestions but I would like to stay under $100 for it. My main concern is transmission distance. I am going to be in a college dorm on the 18th floor and I am hoping there is one that will reach the ground so that I can work outside. And of course seeing as I am in a dorm, I will need a router that will authenticate my computer so there aren't random people using my router. Let me know any opinions and hopefully some facts of tranmission distance and as well, which one you would reccomend buying. Thanks for all the help!!
    AMD Athlon 2100+ @ 2.3Ghz
    Abit NF7-S v2.0
    512MB Hyper-x Dual Channel
    Radeon 9500 softmod 128MB
    3dmark 2001se - 18093

Transmission distance will depend on obstacles!

If you have steel reinforced flooring , water tanks etc all affect distance!

I recently rolled out a wireless 802.11a network (which has less distance than 802.11b) but because of special ducting in the building the distances were cut by almost 2/3rds. Unfortunately our site surveyor used 802.11b and not the proposed 802.11a.
    Major bummer!

What you need to do is perform as site survey!
    Try borrowing some equipment and a laptop to do the tests if you can!

You could add an external antenna booster to increase range!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

well, I'm not too worried about the indoor transmission. It should be able to go about 50-75 feet on the same floor. But I would probably have it set up in my window so that hopefully if would reach the ground (approx 200 feet or so). Do you think that will be an okay setup?
    AMD Athlon 2100+ @ 2.3Ghz
    Abit NF7-S v2.0
    512MB Hyper-x Dual Channel
    Radeon 9500 softmod 128MB
    3dmark 2001se - 18093

Just poke around in the router settings. Set up your wireless card access list to include your cards name and MAC address only, set a seperate SSID name. Turn on WEP if you desire.

You should be able to make it secure enough so that most college kids cant hack in. Why should they want to try to hard when they can plug into the high speed wired net.