Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Got DOOM 3?

Got DOOM 3?

I do! This game ROCKS!!!

Anyone else playing it yet?

Not yet, I'll be waiting for the Linux binaries

I just realized something totally rediculous about the game. Ok the game is set over 150 years in the future, yet no one has invented a flashlight that you don't have to hold in your hand? Hell Why can't i hold the flashlight in one hand and shoot with my pistol in the other even. To me it seems like the flashlights needs to always be on seeing how dark the game is or maybe it should have a battery. It should also be mounted either to a helmet or lapel or something. The people going into the basement working on devices would need their hands free to do work. Ok nuff ranting
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Originally posted by BadBadNeil
    I just realized something totally rediculous about the game. Ok the game is set over 150 years in the future, yet no one has invented a flashlight that you don't have to hold in your hand? Hell Why can't i hold the flashlight in one hand and shoot with my pistol in the other even. To me it seems like the flashlights needs to always be on seeing how dark the game is or maybe it should have a battery. It should also be mounted either to a helmet or lapel or something. The people going into the basement working on devices would need their hands free to do work. Ok nuff ranting
    He's a security dude, they always 'hold' flashlights. Would you rather he had some sort of light "panel" implanted in his head?

How long has it been anyway since the flashlight was invented? 150 years maybe? I don't think much has changed in either case.

LMAO, I donno, but I can care less about the flash light... this game is sweet.

A note of caution:
    DOOM 3 is a terrifying sci-fi horror game experience. It is not recommended for the cowardly or the faint of heart. However, for those who dare to face DOOM 3 as it was intended:
    Lock your door, turn off the lights, and turn up your sound.
    Enjoy DOOM 3.
    Like it says on the insert... its going to be sooooooooo fun tonight after its dark and I do exactly as it says,
    "Lock your door, turn off the lights, and turn up your sound." k, back to playing!

Originally posted by Cyan
    He's a security dude, they always 'hold' flashlights. Would you rather he had some sort of light "panel" implanted in his head?

How long has it been anyway since the flashlight was invented? 150 years maybe? I don't think much has changed in either case.
    No im talking about lights attached to helmets like miners used half a century ago or lapel lights like police officers have nowadays. Also lights nowadays are brighter than they were a century ago and im sure that in 150 years we will have a new type of light source, not something that emits a faint glow reminiscent of the 1920's. Its like throwing a six shooter in the game because they have it nowadays and had it 100 years ago.

anyways, yeah the game is pretty good.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by BadBadNeil
    I just realized something totally rediculous about the game. Ok the game is set over 150 years in the future, yet no one has invented a flashlight that you don't have to hold in your hand? Hell Why can't i hold the flashlight in one hand and shoot with my pistol in the other even.
    I wondered that at first, it seemed like a nuisance, but i soon realised its like that to build up tension, your always tentatively switching between the torch and your gun, because of the dark environment you need ot see whats happening so you dont get caught unawares, but you also need to be armed and ready, as such it makes for a real tense situation, when you enter a pitch black room and you know somethings there you get yourself worked up as to wether you should have your torch out so you can see whats going down or your gun at the ready.

Its one of several little "passive" things the game does to build up tension in the player, indeed the most revolutionary thing about the game is that its the first title i've played which doesnt directly scare the player that often, but in fact lays the atmosphere on so thick that the player ends up scaring him/herself

--Jakk

WOW, can you say CONSTANT goose bumps?!?! LOL... having to switch between gun and flash light make the game 10X better!

Its crazy when you see some guy coming at you killing you and then all the sudden all the lights go out and you cant see anything!!!

GAME ROCKS!!!!

just it is a little dark. But I love it anyways
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

not to mention, should your light be on, the "things" will know where you are. Cool AI eh?

There's always soooo much going on its got me jumping everywhere! haha its crazy! I'll be walkin and all the sudden some pipe will bust open and all kinds of compressed air will start shooting out every where and I'll like shoot at it real quick lol.

Originally posted by Yoshi
    just it is a little dark. But I love it anyways
    Hell yeah, I love how its all dark and everything... I cant wait till night time to play it more! Speaking of playing more... I'll be back in about an hour or so

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Cyan
    Cool AI eh?
    Funny you should say that, but i dont think the AI is actually that complex, based on what little i've played all of the more impressive behavioural traits of the enemies you face seem to be scripted, indeed the enemies dont seem that "clever" in combat, but their appearance to the player is cleverly scripted for optimal "shiznit scaring out of" effect.

Not that the use of scripting is a bad thing, if anything it probably lightens the load on the system (i.e. reduced AI calculations because everything is rigidly defined). The only thing i woudl question is replay value, with such heavy use of scripting i suspect there wont be much variation in "replays" from your first experience

--Jakk

I agree. It seemed like to me, that you would remember those moments that really freaked you out, thus lowering replay value.

But if its just a fun game all around, that's where the replay value really lies anyways, these days.

Ultimate Member
    Anyone hear about the System Shock 2 re-make a mod crew were doing for the Doom 3 engine?

EA have called in the suits and told them to cease and desist or face legal action

--Jakk