Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why Mac for high end photo editing?

G5 chip runs at up to 2.5GHz.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

They used to advertise it as the fastest computer for video editing etc in the world but had to rapidly retratch the statement. They used the tests in the following link to justify their claims :-

http://www.apple.com.au/powermac/

T

Thanks

1. PhotoShop is PhotoShop is PhotoShop. PhotoShop is exactly the same on a Mac as a PC with absolutly no difference whatsoever period.
    Hmm..

70% correct I'd say. You see Photoshop is one of the few apps which has been tweaked to run beter on the Mac OS than Windows. Certain filters and special FX run faster on a Mac than a PC.

Apple and varous Macintosh publications like to point this out on a regular basis. Does this mean the Mac is better than a Win PC. NO. It just means that Adobe tweaked photoshop to take advantage of the Mac's G3 /G4/G5 CPU. Not enough to justify the higher cost of the Mac in my book.

Word, Excel, Indesign, Illustrator or Dreamwever have non of Photoshops advantages on a Mac.

The only 2 reasons to buy a Mac right now are...

a) To look "cool".

b) Compatability within the Publishing / Graphics industries. With the ever wider take up of PDF and cross platform Open Type fonts, the Mac's advantages here are virtually non existant.

In many respects the Mac is just another PC in all but name.

People like this guy are just nuts and should not be listened to. All of the computing world has an opinion on hardware and os, which is fine, there is no need to be so negative about things you don't like. I own a mac, a G4, that is about five years old and still runs like a beast with the newest os. I also own a pc that i built, Athalon 3000+ Asus mobo. Between the two i like the mac more, I just find the os much more innovative and interesting along with the powerful packaged software. I don't hate windows and i don't want everyone to like macs, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but without needlessly bashing others.

Sheez theres more on here against the guy than about the topic!

Personally I think someone who takes the time to write such a long post deserves a decent reply.

So what if hes a bit off the wall - Its the nuts that make the world go round , dare to be diffrent! Salvador Dali , Picasso , Boy George just to name a few! Life would be boring if we had no controversy or everyone was the same!

Personally speaking I use the pc for photographic work - the pc has many more programs than the mac for this and a lot are free!

The mac has always been an overpriced toy for the yuppies and tv presenters to show off its flashing lights and clear cases etc
    Its a designer machine for those that want street cred.

For the techies and those that actually want to use their computer for everything at a decent speed and can put up with Microsofts "iDIOSYNCRACIES" it will always be the PC that comes out on top!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Banned
    In this forum it is very wrong to give negative opinions based on my experence and facts which I am entiteled to about Linux and Mac. It is also wrong to say that Windows is good. I like windows, Windows is stable, Windows runs the software I want and so forth. However it is ok to bash Windows and say Winblows and Windoze. Look at all of the post with Windoze in it and no one cares.
    With the atmosphere of this forum I bet I can get banned if I made a positive post about how much I like windows and how much it improves my life even if I never mention Linux or Mac or even hint of them.
    A sad thing about our society is you have to have the same opinion as everyone else and you cannot think for yourself.

Aint that the truth Ruth!

This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

It is kind of lame to hate someone just because they hate something, but what the heck, if it wasn't for hate there wouldn't be wars and the news would be very boring, and I hate boring news, so what's a guy to do?

Originally posted by Terminator
    I get the gist as well. Last week a program on TV called 'The Gadget Show' (in UK) did a direct comparison between the Mac G5 (Dual CPU) and a top end PC (not sure of specs).
    They did gaming and used photo editing to do an embossing test on a photograph(I think it was). For the game the Mac averaged 70FPS the PC was 200FPS. The photo editing test the Mac was at least 50% slower.

They did something else more entertaining. They took both computers and dropped them 30ft onto concrete...lol The reason was to see what broke and how much it would cost to repair.
    I also saw that show. I took exception to the "Right Said Fred" reject presenter making such wild assumptions as to diagnosing the faults from dropping the thing off a bridge.

Effectively he gave really lame reasons why only the motherboard would be broken, that weren't necessarily untrue, but were wrong in the assumptions that were stated. As an IT support person, I find that users see this kind of stuff and take it for gospel that if, as the example was in the show, the lights come on and the fans go round and nothing else, that the motherboard is the thing wrong, and the only thing. The other really bad one was that all he did to test was to boot it. At least leave it on for a while, and preferrably run burn-in on it.

It actually caused an arguement with my wife this one, oh well, perhaps I shouldn't be quite such a sad geek.

On another note, personally, I dislike MACS. Not for anything to do with the actual computer, but because whenever I have talked to an enthusiastic mac owner, they have, in my opinion, a misplaced sense of superiority and worth just because they use a MAC. It generally turns out that they use PC emulators most of the time anyway to rin Windows software. I also don't like what Apple are doing with iTunes here in the UK, and the iPod being an expensive alternative to better MP3 solutions.

Wild rant over, back to my box now.

Not only was 'The right said fred' guy a reject he was also a danger to himself and especially others watching. If the PSU board had cracked or was damaged the Pc or MAC could have shorted out.
    He also didn't test anything else except powering up the machine as mentioned. Didn't check the Cd etc. I think the point (if there was one) is that MAC's are very expesive to repair as opposed to PC's.

T

Very true T, Apple like to proprietise their repairs/upgrades. Just like laptop manufacturers. Meaning you pay over the odds for repairs/replacements.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams in "The Salmon of Doubt', external peripheral manufacturers, such as CD's or even laptops, aren't in the business of selling laptops. They are in the business of selling repairs, replacements and upgrades. The profit margins are so much higher there. As soon as people realise what industry companies are in, the easier it will be for people to get along in life.

Take TV here in the UK. ITV, c4, c5, sky etc. are in the business of selling advertising space. The things in the middle (i.e. programs. are just a way of getting more people to watch the ads. That's why the BBC is in such a unique position, it is in the business of producing good programs, a completely different industry to it's competitors. Also bear in mind that the BBC's budget is a fraction of that for the other channels, and you start to realise how good a job the beeb do.

Read it, it's great if you like Mr Adams work. If you don't, or have never read Hitchhikers Guide, then for heavens sake, what are you like?

ngc457 banned ?

I just read ngc457's comparison of Mac's vs PC's and found the post well thought-out, well-wriitten, useful and entertaining.

I don't get sm8000. Are you out for revenge for some slight, real or imagined ?

Your post has zero to do with ngc457's recent review.

I found what ngc457 has to offer extremely useful.

Bashing his/her past behavior is of no use to me at all.

Is there something wrong with keeping to the subject, or is sysopt just a forum to insult each other ?

As a casual reader who is interested in Technical Discussions, I am disappointed when the Moderator allows personal attacks to intrude.

In this post sm8000 has added no technical insight, just a-technical insults.
    Last edited by SalemCat; 08-09-2004 at 01:37 AM.

Who asked for a thread review? No one has been banned, have they?

As a moderator, it's my job to respond to complaints and review them. This member has been abusive in the past and other members were under the impression that he had been banned.

If you think that there is a lot of confrontation at SysOpt, you haven't been to many other forums. We keep the flak down here. Whether you realize it or not, you just attacked sm8000. Considering how little you have contributed here with your 39 posts, I would suggest that you mind your own business.
    MS MCP, MCSE