Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Mac for high end photo editing?

Banned

Why Mac for high end photo editing?

For years you see professional photographers claim that Macs are better for photography then PC. As a photographer who has had my works published world wide and I teach photoshop and I have written course work sold nation wide I beg to differ and here is why.
    1. PhotoShop is PhotoShop is PhotoShop. PhotoShop is exactly the same on a Mac as a PC with absolutly no difference whatsoever period.
    2. The PC is faster at photo editing task then even the G5. Look at this benchmark http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6451-6410
    That was compareing high end with high end but most photographers including pro can not afford or justify that expense so lets look at mid price around $1200 to $1800.
    I built a computer for a professional wedding photographer who is 100% digital. I built him a P4 2.8E, 1 gig of ram, 160 gig hd, 8x dvd burner, asus motherboard with 8 usb ports and 2 firewire ports. He got a Mitsubishi 19" flat screen apeture grill CRT moniter. ATI 9200 128 meg graphics card. Now I know this forum you are all probably thinking why not a 9800. Because he is using PhotoShop and has zero interest in gaming. The 9200 for PhotoShop which is 2D not 3D has just as good and just as fast display for PhotoShop. All of that for $1100. That computer can do everysingle last thing in PhotoShop and run all RAW conversion, DB or sorting apps with good speed. You want to work with a 100meg image with 100 layers you can do it with that machine and do it at a good speed.
    Now what does Mac offer for that price? Forget a G5. Closest thing is an iMac. The cheapest they have is $1300. Here is what you get for $1300 which is $200 more. You get a 15" LCD display which is way smaller and not as good as even a cheap CRT. But not my friend didn't get a **** CRT. The CPU is 1ghz G4 which according to benchmarks including PhotoShop that CPU is a third of the speed. You get a geforce4 MX 32 meg card. For PhotoShop there is no performace difference in the 2 cards but ATI has a slightly better 2D display quality then Nvidia and that is why ATI is widely used in photo design circles. You get 256 megs of ram. Now in Photo editing circles where we work with Photos that are 50 megs in size with lots of layers 512 is bare minimum and 1 gig is suggested. It comes with an 80 gig hd which is half the size. A combo drive which is dvd read only and cd burner.
    The Mac is too under powered to be a suitable computer for the digital photographer. You can edit a few small photos and it is good enough to display your photos on the web but for prints forget it. The computer will either be bogged down bad or will not be able to do the function at all.
    As ignorant Mac users put it. PC gets viruses every nano second and crash about as often. BULL! It is true Windows XP has more viruses that can harm it. It isn't because Windows is **** and Mac OS X is groovy. It is because Mac has 2.5% of the market and Windows has 95% of the market. If one gets good virus protection software like the free AVG and good firewall coupled with common since you will have a trouble free computer. I haven't been affected by a virus in 10 years. Windows XP is just as stable. It will run months at a time and it won't crash in the middle of photo editing.
    Mac is so 10 years ago the PC rules today. The Mac has zero advantage period. So when you choose a photo lab choose one that uses a PC. Instead of being mindless lemmings following tradition they did thier research and learned the PC not only has caught up with Mac in photo editing it flat out blows it away. They will pass the savings onto you the customer. Please be sure to thank them.

You make some good points, but howcome you're not banned?

What was he banned for? I can boot him again.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Not sure if he ever was banned or not, but I did complain about him twice (by reporting his posts). Linux-bashing to the point of ridiculousness.

i dont have anything against linux but who cares if someone else doesnt like it no reason to ban someone for there opinion and even if you do ban him hel just register another name and keep posting

Originally posted by fyutp
    if you do ban him hel just register another name and keep posting
    Let him try. He will run out of e-mail addresses sooned or later. We can ban by IP too.

As far as I can tell, ngc457 was never banned.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by fyutp
    i dont have anything against linux but who cares if someone else doesnt like it no reason to ban someone for there opinion and even if you do ban him hel just register another name and keep posting
    It's not about opinions. Have you READ this guy's posts????

err, I tried to read all that but I just couldn't

the gist I got is that you saw no advantage to owning a mac over a pc..correct?

LOL!

I get the gist as well. Last week a program on TV called 'The Gadget Show' (in UK) did a direct comparison between the Mac G5 (Dual CPU) and a top end PC (not sure of specs).
    They did gaming and used photo editing to do an embossing test on a photograph(I think it was). For the game the Mac averaged 70FPS the PC was 200FPS. The photo editing test the Mac was at least 50% slower.

They did something else more entertaining. They took both computers and dropped them 30ft onto concrete...lol The reason was to see what broke and how much it would cost to repair.

Apart from the case getting bashed to bits after the motherboard was replaced (£65) the PC worked fine.
    As for the Mac you couldn't even buy the motherboard, you had to get a 'professional' Mac chappy to repair it which would cost £50 an hour plus parts.
    This is not even including the high cost of purchasing the Mac in the first place.
    I can't think of one reason for purchasing a Mac. There must be one surely.....

T

Banned
    Wow people with opinions should be banned. Imagine that. I guess we should all think a like.

I was just bringing up an interesting topic on people thinking Macs are better then PC for photo editing when it is a fact they are not. It is an interesting topic. But I guess opinions are bad.

What is being complained about is the tone of your old posts - "I'm right, you're a dope". The accusations are right but you don't have to help prove them right. That's what you just did.

If I catch you wearing that attitude, you're gone - starting today...
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-31-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Isn't the G5 a 64bit cpu?

Originally posted by Tech^salvager
    Isn't the G5 a 64bit cpu?
    yeah but so is athlon 64

What does the G5 chip run at?

Originally posted by sm8000
    Have you READ this guy's posts????
    i change my mind your wright after reading all his posts, he is a little bit nutty and ubsesed with microsoft and seems to hate everything that isnt microsoft