Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seagate Puts You on the 5-Year Plan

Seagate Puts You on the 5-Year Plan

I think they deserve a pat on the back, let's hope the rest of the industry sits up and takes notice!

Your Friendly Editor
    This would be a nice trend to follow!
    SysOpt's Illustrious Editor

You shouldn't deserver a pat on the back for doing the right thing.

Seagate was the company that started off the slashing of HDD waranties to a single year rather than the industry standard 3 year one some 5-6 years ago.

Dont think its any kindness on there part ... Its a marketing ploy to sell more hard drives....hehe*

I first saw this on newegg and I thought it was a typo... Ne ways I think I might try some SATA from them

I have a seagate had disk I bought about a year ago. Since this is retroactive, I wonder if It covers my hard disk. I think it is a good move and I agree it is for increasing sales. I bought my 60GB when 120GB were becoming affordable. I think a 5 year old hard disk may be too small for many current PC tasks. (Mainly audio and video).
    -- Mathias

I think that "Retroactive" means that buyers of their HDD's from 1st June this year will be covered for 5 years into the future, not the past!

It will only really hurt them if they put out a range of lemons, similar to the "Deathstar" fiasco IMO. They probably already have a stringent quality testing procedure and the extra publicity and sales generated by having the industry's first 5 yr. warranty will more than compensate for the few failures they are obviously expecting. Others may well have to increase quality before they can make the same offer and that can only be a good thing for the consumer.

Originally posted by SLX
    ... Its a marketing ploy to sell more hard drives....

... Ne ways I think I might try some SATA from them
    A successful marketing ploy too by the sounds of it!
    Last edited by Strawbs; 08-04-2004 at 04:52 AM.

I have a Seagate for my OS drive..( newer 7800 Barracuda ) and they just make the best HD's ......fast,quiet and well made

I don't think it could be considered a marketing ploy when you are so confident in your merchandise as this....

3 years is a good warrranty offer and 5 years is just insane...

Fantastic!
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Of course its all to do with marketing. Say seagate sell an extra %10 more drives. Thats a huge amount of cash, and if as many as %5 of the drives shipped go bad within 5 years it still only costs them pittance to replace them. We might buy a drive for $100, but that doesn't mean it cost anywhere near that much to produce.

This may be true....but how many other HD companies are willing to go out on a limb about this.....

And...so what... a good marketing ploy that has some good qualities as this one is just good business....

I don't get it...what do people want..??

Computer users are so darn pessimistic.....

Thatr is far better than lets say..trying to peddle defective hard drives for very cheap.....and Seagate HD's are not cheap...

They work like their suppose to..and live up to their claims....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I don't get it...what do people want..??
    nobody's saying it's a bad thing in any way, Just that it is a sales strategy ...a good one.

Sweet Just one problem, I bought my seagate a year ago, but then again that's no problem because I got 5 years , now four years, of warranty off Fry's for some extra $$. But they're awesome hard drives. I would buy again from them. I can barely hear the hard drive in my system.

looks like my next HD choices just narrowed down to 1.

5 year warranty

there are two reasons Seagate offers the 5 year warranty to make more sales and confidence in there product. I have never had a problem with seagate drives. My first drive to blow up loosing all my stuff was a WD and I have had a few die on me since then. Maxtor the ones I tried wouldn't even work with my motherboard.

My son has one of my old seagates in his computer still running fine after what must be atleast 8 years now maybe more.

ive always bought WD because of their good warrentee. but, maybe its time to switch...