Thread: Comments on Aloha Bob please

Comments on Aloha Bob please

I need to migrate everything from a win98 machine to either a winMe or win2k machine with a different mobo and peripherals.
    From what I've read, Aloha Bob does it, though slowly....that's ok.

However, I want to be sure I don't have any clean-up work to do.....so I could use some advice here....is there anything superior to Aloha Bob in terms of ease of use and no aggravation.....
    thanks

Judging by the views without posts i'd ask - what the heck is Aloha Bob??? A quick Google tells me it is a Comp USA utility for moving files (may be good may be not??? I have no clue.) I would lean towards not trusting ANYTHING from Comp USA though!

There are many proven transfer utilities available - Norton Ghost 2003, Drive Image Pro, Acronis True Image, and others. As posted by dajogejr: "Do a search on Ghost, Image, cloning in this forum. There are quite a lot of threads on it and the software used for it."

or read this thread:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...light=transfer

Re: Comments on Aloha Bob please

Originally posted by Cat5
    in terms of ease of use and no aggravation.....

I think this is may be what is scarin em off, those are pretty high requirements.

I use ghost and it works ok but it isn't perfect and I do get bad images sometimes or ones with "quirks".

Drive image utilities are for imaging drives. What you want is to reinstall on a new motherboard. I would backup my data and do it the hard way.

Seconded...

Drive imaging works great for backups or swapping hard drives in the same PC, same hardware.

Changing the mobo?

You are much, much better off backing up, fresh format and install of the OS.

The little time you may save now will more than come back to bite you in the long run with odd errors and possibly lockups...etc.

Been there Done that. Right after I began my current job, I was to upgrade a Win 98 machine to Windows 2K Pro. The program is slow, but it works to move almost all applications except Office Programs and virus scanners. There were other issues with other programs and I eventually had to format and install from scratch after making a backup. In reality the only thing it did right was copy the users data and information.

PC Relocator is an excellent program that will transfer settings for all M$ products and other programs settings too.

I have used it a couple of times and it has no failed to transfer my IE, Word, W2K, Excel, and so forth, settings over without any problems whatsoever.

It can transfer settings for other programs and this list is growing will each release. In some cases it is able to transfer an actual program as part of the transfer settings file.

I have no reservations about recommending PC Relocator. I would go for the Ultra version though.

I did not find it slow to make the transfer file or transfer settings over. We are only talking about 5+ minutes anyway once you have made your selection. Think about the time it would take to do it manually or use images of each setting for each program.

http://www.eisenworld.com/pop.asp

I wouldn't so much as consider anything called "Aloha Bob." Really, do you trust a piece of software named something so absurd with your data? I know I wouldn't.

Then again, I'm a fat little piggy eating spaghetti and people trust me with their data all the time.

Originally posted by Johnny Fist

Then again, I'm a fat little piggy eating spaghetti and people trust me with their data all the time.

I wouldn't...

You must be smarter than the average bear, I guess.

Originally posted by Johnny Fist
    I wouldn't so much as consider anything called "Aloha Bob." Really, do you trust a piece of software named something so absurd with your data? I know I wouldn't.

I'd rather use something called Aloha Bob then Johnny Fist.

I haven't tried it but there is a transfer wizard in XP. I'm curious how it works myself.

The Fist is not happy.