Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Doom III GOES GOLD WAHOOO

BigJ although I do agree with your post, Doom III is supposed to be different than the previous version's. It wouldnt be enough for them to make it a pretty shoot everything in sight game now-a-days. They say it's supposed to be one of the scariest games ever made, at least that's what the developer's have said.

I loved Half-Life and am looking foward to the second one myself. I wish they would come out with System Shock 3. The 2nd one was probobly the BEST, fairly un-noticed game, ever made. It's right up there with these 2 games in my book.

Ultimate Member
    *Don's asbestos suit*

The Rainbow Six point doesnt really stand up that well, as "Tactical Shooters" are so far removed, in terms of the gameplay physics that they cant really be seen as the same sort of game as Doom, D3D, Half Life etc. all of which are built around rapid action, wheras with the likes of R6:RS the gameplay is conducted at a much slower pace and markedly different manner.

Similarly, on the point of the FPS genre evolving, prior to 1998 it hadnt done anything more than disguise its origins rather than grow. The main point of this is that the gameplay dynamic of the FPS since its birth has always been, make your way from point A to point C, finding a key/passcode to get through door B, blasting as many nasties as yo can on your way. This was the hallmark of Wolf 3, The Doom's, Quake I+II, Sin, D3D. the only significant change in this dynamic has been the "disguiding" of these key's, passwords etc. in the form of other items (e.g. in Kingpin - a post-HL game, the condenser coil in the opening levels is essentially "The key for the red door" but in the form of a real world object rather than a contrived game device.)

For me HL1 was the only game to that point to offer a new gameplay dynamic, you werent simply progressing from point A-C you were actually taking part in a "story", a fairly alien concept for FPS', somethign iD in particular have been criticsed for lacking in the past. "Red Doors" and "Door Key 2" had been replaced by puzzle and combat driven tasks, i was no longer in a contrived "maze" (if you will) populated with nasties to provide a distraction to this fact, but a "real" situation in which what i was doing as the character made sense (i was test firing the rockets to kill the bloody huge tentacle that was in my way - not poncing around trying to find the hidden panel to open the blue slipgate to take me to the next level to do the exact same thing all-over again).

Now this may be partly due to the relatively young age of gaming technology and the FPS genre, but prior to HL1 there were no realistically "objective" driven games where you were doing what you were doing for a reason which would make sense in the real world.

As for Unreal, while modding tools have been provided with their games in the past, Unreal Ed has in the past been so difficult to use that for most bedroom developers it wasnt worth te time. Similarly, i've yet to see or hear of Epic provide corporate sponsorship, hosting, specific Mod team showcases of engines etc. in the way that Valve have done. It's only in light of Valves actions and the success and continued lifespan of Half Life through modding that other games developers such as Epic have really sat up and taken notice (something reflected by the swarm of rather good mod's were seeing for UT2004).

As for what HL2 is going to do for the genre, in short, the game itself is goign to be an evolutionary step, simply building on HL1, elevating games out of the "kiddy" heritage they have towards a more serious, realistic, plot driven level, something only a few games have achieved (Deus Ex, Mafia and HL are the most obvious examples) and bringing them closer to the "art form" status which by now games developers should eb aspiring to attain. The revolutionary step is going to come from Source, for the reasons given above, it at last offers the technology and detail to construct a recognisably "real" world while not damaging the "fun" aspect of games. For example, the DIII and Far Cry engines, as beautiful as they are, smack of that "you are playing a computer game" feeling - even despite Far Cry's brilliant rendering of tropical landscapes, while with games such as America's Army the realism is there, but again its "i am in a computer game" realism. With Source, Valve have managed to bring about the physical and graphical technology which melds these two extremes together to the point at which we have a virtual construct which has both the detail and realism, as well as the flow and pace of gameplay to begin creating a "virtual reality" which is both fun to interact with, while conveying a sense of realism. For me personally at present only Mafia and COD/MOHAA have really managed a similar feat, while Deus Ex has achieved a similar level in regards to its dialogue, narrative and immersive universe, but fallen short in terms of graphical ability.

I dont think HL1/2/3 or whatever Valve choses to do next will be the be all and end all for MP, i reckon that lies somewhere in an expansion, evolution and melding of the MMORPG and MP centric FPS style games, to the point at which the realistic civilisations and online societies of MMORPG's (in essence the narrative and realism element) becomes one with the gameplay chamrs of the FPS. As an example, say Blade Runner the MMORPG, with FPS combat elements between runners and simulants but the game-world structure of an MMORPG... now theres a thought.

i really do believe that with HL1 mainstream PC (RPG/Adventure fans could argue thay have long been playing "serios"/"artform" games - but games of that ilk have never really had what you woudl call a mainstream grip) gaming came of age and began the evolution from this "monster filled mazes" analogy to steps towards genuine "virtual realities", to me HL2 will simply be an evolutionary step in this process, but the process itself is so exciting, that even as an evolutionary step its well worth getting excited about.

--Jakk

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Vampiel

I loved Half-Life and am looking foward to the second one myself. I wish they would come out with System Shock 3. The 2nd one was probobly the BEST, fairly un-noticed game, ever made. It's right up there with these 2 games in my book.
    Definitley, though with Warren Spector departing Ion Storm it looks unlikely, however SS3. Similarly they would have to promise not to dumb it down ala DX:IW (though im one of the few people who love I-War because of the fact its significantly different in terms of gameplay mechanics from the original - okay it may not be as "hardcore" as some may have wanted, but its still one of the best games of recent years). Heh, SS3 on Source or the Doom III engine, now theres a thought (though with the latter the similar aesthetic values of the two games may conflict).

I'm rather excited (sad i know) about that "Blade Runner Online" idea i just had, im off to patent the idea quickedy split.

--Jakk

Holy **** BigJ are you writing a novel?

Ultimate Member
    Now theres a thought:

"The mechanics of virtual relaity gaming, past, present and future"

only Cwin would be sad enough to buy it though

--Jakk

I was in the store today, saw box for DOOM3(too bad it was empty). Looks really tempting.

Where is CWin anyway? someone originally posted ..he was banned and then it was like a big joke...but obviously he is not here anymore. Maybe he moved or just quit this forum altogether.

I find Jaks viewpoint and CC's viewpoints a good debate and enjoy the info dialogs going on. We all have differing tastes and obviously from this forum post...we know where you two stand.

I am not so critically biased as to which is what or better or what is the most evolutionary. Although I like to keep updated on these little tidbits of info and views..and what I see as only a healthy bantor.....I am just looking forward to both games...in whatever form or developement occurs.

Jak..I liked the analogy you gave of what HL did and that like you I do prefer some mystery and true ingame involvement..where you are in the middle of a real story. I think it adds so much to the suspense,drama and scarinest of the game.

One thing of interest to me about the new Doom game is if any or all of the origianal crew who developed the originl game are back or working on parts of it or is this an entirely new crew??
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Most of the crew members are old, but there are new.

As J Carmak said, that the game is all about single player. So it should be good.

Chances are HL would have never happened if it were not for Doom.

I can't wait for Doom III to be released!!! Half-Life 2? Bleh, I will take Doom III anytime.

Hope everyone has had time to get a system upgrade.

Jakk: They do support the community, I do agree, but they are profitting much more off it than if they didn't do it as that is one of the reasons Gabe Newell once was a trusted name. Now he could show me the same graphs for ATi and Nvidia, and I wouldn't believe a single graph (even knowing that the NV3x doesn't perform well with SM2.0). That is how much his credibility is shot and in doing so, he took a lot of people's wallet's with him, so I'm not going to give him mine. He "supports" the community he will so happily lie to for an extra buck. That isn't support, that is just an advanced con job in my book.

As for revolutionary, not really. FPS was in it's infancy still when HL1 came out. It wasn't hard to be revolutionary then, not much had been done yet. Now you have half the titles out being FPS, before FPS was only a small portion of sales. I'd argue that the Q3 engine has been the better engine and served gamers better than the HL1 engine ever did unless your a modder. The only thing it truly did was make multiplayer common - and in doing so it needed a mod community early on, so it kept it. It's cheaper than in house work and they get brownie points as well.

(and arguably before that Apogee released a primitive magc and monsters style FPS game - which i've got here, somwhere)
    Hey Jakk, I believe that the game you are talking about is "Catacomb Abyss". EGA graphics and very low sound card support. It was a pretty good game...I have it too, on a 3.5" disk somewhere.
    Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 07-17-2004 at 11:51 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, the main weapon was your "magic hands" which fired out balls of flame or whatever it was.

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Yeah, the main weapon was your "magic hands" which fired out balls of flame or whatever it was.

--Jakk

Hey, I know what your talking about! I played that game and loved it! But it was developed by Softdisk/id, not Apogee.