Thread: Infinium Phantom Console/PC

Infinium Phantom Console/PC

Well i just went through the entire site about the new phantom console/pc system soon to be released.

this system sounds great so far, combining the console with the pc to make gaming faster, easier cheaper and some what safer for your family.

The only major concern i have with it is that, they own your games. period.

They are either stored on the HardDrive or on their servers, so no way to get them off or make backups or bring to your friends house to play LAN or just to show them. You are basically renting the game the entire time even though you paided full price for it. What happens if the HardDrive fails, they have no other perpherials to make backups. your saved games and other stored info are gone.

Many game developers make online gaming free, so why would someone pay extra on top of the ISP fees and the price of a full game just to play. for a game like battlefield, you paid for the game, your pay your ISP and you play for a month, then it's the price of the ISP there on after.

Alyeah, they also own the drivers and anything the comes on a disk or floppy for added perpherials like mouse and keyboards that you want added on since it is like a pc,plus music and dvd's, oops no cd-rom/dvd-rom drive. if infinium doesn't have it, you probaly don't need.LOL

what do you gamers think?

www.phantom.net

Since this machine runs windows embeded, will it have the same problems as previouse windows, 98/xp ,what happens when hackers or virus start attacking it, will everyone have to download patchs, anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware and other pc/windows required items.

What if a worms floods the internet on it? and blocks infiniums servers, then what? no-cdrom drive to install repair software such as anti-virus.

hope infinium knows what they are doing
    Last edited by nchan10111; 07-05-2004 at 04:44 AM.
    Technology: Will it be the end of mankind?

Aren't they the one's with the literal Phantom gaming console. HardOCP is in a lawsuit with them as infinium threatened litigation a couple times(which is illegal), so HardOCP sued. Infinium sued back. HardOCP will most likely win in both instances. I'll try to see if I can find the founders work history (a record of horrible failures), so I wouldn't want this at all seeing where it is coming from.

Ultimate Member
    Avoid. Theyve been panned in just about every review going, and reacted badly to it, filing a lawsuit against Harocp which appears to be based on flimsier and flimisier grounds as the proceedings progress. Similarly dolby have complained that theyre using the Dolby audio standard in association with the console, when it doesnt actually meet dolby standards.

All in all, sounds extremely shoddy to me. (I now expect to recieve a court summons in the next three days )

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Avoid. Theyve been panned in just about every review going, and reacted badly to it, filing a lawsuit against Harocp which appears to be based on flimsier and flimisier grounds as the proceedings progress. Similarly dolby have complained that theyre using the Dolby audio standard in association with the console, when it doesnt actually meet dolby standards.

All in all, sounds extremely shoddy to me. (I now expect to recieve a court summons in the next three days )

--Jakk
    I 100% agree. The fact that you have to subscribe to even use the console is ludicrous. If you want to go the console route, get an XBOX (since it has the most computer-ish games) or a PS2. If you want a PC, just get a cheap one. Don't get this Phantom at all costs. I must say though, the ApeXtreme console (it is a computer in a console body) looks like a much better idea than Phantom's: http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/prodde...enumber=76&c=4

here is a thread from the Ground Control 2 peeps from Massive Entertainment. they been watching since March 3, 2004.

Phantom? Smoke and Mirrors. well if a workable model hits the street so the common man/woman could get their hands on it then maybe... maybe........ something positive could be said. but until then not a lot has been said thats sounds encouraging.
    Last edited by apainttown; 07-05-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Phantom is not worth it...

For a real Computer-like gaming experience, get an XBOX.

Paying for games you can never own is the worst idea ever...

What happens if their servers go down?
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Even if it came out tommorow, I would never consider buying it. It 'streams' the game in as you are playing it supposedly and you never own the game, but you still have to pay for it. What a load. Stay away, far away.