Thread: temps?

temps?

Hi guys

I have a quick question...recently ive been playing final fantasy 11 and ive been getting random lockups and restartes while im playing ...there was just a huge update to the game and the restarts started after that so at first i thought it was the update..

After poking around around a little bit i decided to check my temps and is there anything that would cause this..

ok my athlon xp 2400 was overclocked to 2.1 ghz..and usually ran around 42 degrees celsius idle with the stock cooler..as im speaking now its running at 57 degrees celsius idle and who knows how high it goes once i start the game ... and i clocked it back down to stock speed?

what would cause this abnormal rise in temperature ..?
    should i try reseating my hsf?...should i buy a new one?
    any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    procrastinang and masturbating are two of the same

it feels good for the time being but in the end your just ****ing yourself

could be a heat problem, PSU, never can go wrong buying a better HSF, you should have done that when o'clocking the CPU

can you uninstall the "huge update" and see what happens, and no specs - you got enough room on your HDD or partition the games loaded in?

yep i have like 60 gb free on that drive no i cant uninstall the update and yes i should of gotten a better hsf but at the time it was running cool with the stock one so i figured it was all good..

apparently not ..what gets me is what caused this almost 20 degree rise in the temperature out of nowhere...has this happened to anyone before?...

yes it can.....try my suggestions - heck uninstall the game altogether and reinstall all the patches and updates - my kids have had to do that for games like Call of Duty and BF1942 on more than one occasion.

i dont think its the game im pretty sure its the skyrocket in temerature the game is just about the only cpu intensive thing that i do which would explain why it only locks up when i play ...cpu temp has gotten into the high 60's while playing even right now while i write this its at 62 celsuis....how bad is this to be running a cpu this hot and what could of caused it to go from 42 idle all the way up to 62 ???

thanks for your replys

update***

i just pulled apart my computer and reseated the hsf with new paste ..now its running at 44celsius idle ..a big improvement now lets see if the game still locks up..thanks

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Did you clean the dust off the hs/f and case fans while your at it? Would help alot plus has your room temps gone up as well that will add to the problem so might as well be thorough while the case is open and a little a/c to keep it down as preventive maintenance.

open the case, summer is here. I have noticed my temps have increased, especialy when playing high graphic games. empire earth gets up in the high 50,s.

yep i blew the whole thing out with a can of air and everything alltogether it helped alot....does the thermal compund wear out over time?...becuae it ran this cool before then jumped like that now that i re-applyed it its back to normal?

never seen that happen before but then again ive seen alot more off the wall stuff happen:P

thanks for your help guys i appreciate it

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Yes it can wear out over time, probably every six months its wise to clean and change but if your like me and lazy I won't change it unless something happens. Remember you only need a very thin even layer so don't overdo it.

I do not have an AMD processor ..but they run hot anyway..and if overclocking is what you are doing..then a good HS fan is going to help.

Every once in a great while my processor( P4 2.8C 800 FSB ) will rise a bit above what is normal to me ( it stays cool at 28-32 degrees always) and things like the outside Temp. being a bit higher in the summer would make it rise some. Also, while running certain games the processor works real hard and most of them will go up quite a bit during heavy gameplay. I do not run FF games..but I have others ( only a couple that will make my porcessor run at 52-54 degrees.(Any game with some extreeme graphics and gameplay elements will do this)
    Upon exiting..it falls all the way down to 30-32 degrees.

I also periodically clean all my fans( the case fans i take out and clean good and re-install .and I just used a light cue tip or light wired brush to clean the CPU HS Fan.) This will help a great deal also.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

thanks for the tips guys..

yea even now its still running at 44 idle
    and into the 50's when i game ... and thats o/c back up to 2.1ghz again exactly how it was before i had the heat issue

i took it upon myself to order a volcano 7 for 35 cdn dollars ....anyone have any experiance with this cooler?....am i gonna get my 35 bucks worth here lol..

i have 4 fans in the case 2 in at the bottom and 2 out at the top and even with this hsf it is a beast (loud) ..so i hope the volcano isnt overly loud and also how much of a temp differance can i expect to see... 30's would be nice

once again thanks for helpin out

edit..and oh yes ..when can i get a custom picture under my name ..its been 3 years allready:P
    Last edited by eazyt; 07-05-2004 at 08:05 AM.