Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stop using Internet Explorer (MSIE) at home

Stop using Internet Explorer (MSIE) at home

> The U.S. government's Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is
    > warning Web surfers to stop using Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE)
    > browser.
    >

> Complete article is here: <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878>
    >

> Other Free and Safer browsers to consider to replacing IE: Opera,
    > Mozilla, and others.
    >

> It is time to drop IE...

So, for those who do stop, what browser will you use?

It's kinda funny, I switched over to Mozilla,2 weeks before this latest round of problems from MSIE and am really pleased with the latest build 1.6 Now I only use Mozilla.

I was about 50/50 Mozilla/Opera....but I'm really getting to like the latter more.
    Old As Dirt

I switched to Mozilla 2 or so weeks ago and I like it alot better than Netscape which i switched to about 6 months ago.

There is a list of suggested solutions including using an up-to-date virus scanner, not clicking on unsolicited links, and installing security updates. Well, duh! The last suggestion is to use a different browser.

"There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies relating to the IE domain/zone security model, the DHTML object model, MIME type determination, and ActiveX. It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using a different web browser, especially when browsing untrusted sites. Such a decision may, however, reduce the functionality of sites that require IE-specific features such as DHTML, VBScript, and ActiveX."

It will reduce your vulnerability and reduce the functionality of the browser. Notice they didn't say eliminates your vulnerability. Thanks. I am not having problems and will keep using IE. I also eat eggs and drink unpasteurized orange juice.

I've never had a problem with IE. I use 3 firewalls (NAT + windows + 3rd party), update my virus scanner automatically every 6 hours, install all the neccessary security updates and run adaware/spybot on a regular basis.
    Simply changing to Opera or one of the other browsers wouldn't have stopped Sasser or Blaster, would it? They don't stop stupid people clicking 'ok' when a popup add appears, or downloading the MyWebSearch bar.

Everyone is quick to blame IE when its stupid users that are almost exclusively the biggest problem.

Try this for an idea of the prob.

Find Mshta.exe and use the shift/ right click 'open with' command to see how many file types can be run.

The OS is actually a browser. A very good one.
    Last edited by herosrest; 07-02-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Actually there was a serious problem with IE recently that they did not have a fix for, for about a week. Also it was on alot of major web sites, if you simply visited the site, you would get infected.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=165247

They finally released an update to fix it, today.

A simple virus update and correct use of a firewall would have stopped that particular nasty from doing anything.
    If you don't take common sense precautions I believe you deserve all you get!

I dont see computer's coming with a guide that tell's everyone that.

Also im trying Mozilla right now, and I never realized how much I used my middle click to move around and it's not working with this browser.

Scratch that I went into mouse properties and it started working, but it still doesnt come up with an arrow when I click on it.

OK I just tried Mozilla and I liked it at first until the mouse issue's got very annoying, so im back to IE.

You're correct, no PCs that I've ever heard of come with an idiot's guide to security, but then again you don't get one when you buy a house either.
    A house is vulnerable to similar things, theft of contents, damage by termites, vandalism etc etc.

Ignorance runs rampant among computer users. They get it in their stupid think heads that computers are really really complex so 'I won't bother trying to learn anything because I'll just get confused'.

My feelings are to bring on the viruses and exploits and spyware. The sooner stupid ignorant people stop bothering with PCs the sooner those left will not be subjected to zombie PC attacks and stuff like that.
    Where do most viruses come from? From people who have you in their address book (which the viruses use to spread).
    Last edited by zybch; 07-03-2004 at 02:41 AM.

Originally posted by zybch
    I've never had a problem with IE. I use 3 firewalls (NAT + windows + 3rd party), update my virus scanner automatically every 6 hours, install all the neccessary security updates and run adaware/spybot on a regular basis.
    Simply changing to Opera or one of the other browsers wouldn't have stopped Sasser or Blaster, would it? They don't stop stupid people clicking 'ok' when a popup add appears, or downloading the MyWebSearch bar.

Everyone is quick to blame IE when its stupid users that are almost exclusively the biggest problem.
    But should every user really need 3 firewalls to stop this ****? How about using a browser that was designed with some sort of security in mind.

I moved to Firefox about 6 months ago (it was called someting else though, cant remember for the life of me...) and have been converting other as well. This statment only back up my claims more...

And by all means, if there is some website that does not run well in Firefox please contact the webmaster and inform them that they are not W3C (world wide web consortium) compliant. I have seen a lot of sites that are IE only... and it makes me sick.
    -------------------------------------------
    The Matrix Has You...
    Give a man a fire, he stays warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life.
    My systems: 2.8ghz P4, 800mhz FSB HT
    1Gb Geil Dual Channel DDR PC3200
    120Gb Maxtor HD SATA
    Nvidia Vanta 16mb (soon to be replaced)

1.8ghz P4 400mhz FSB
    384 Mb DDR PC2700 Kingston RAM
    1x 40 GB, 1x 80gb HD's
    1x DVD/CD-RW 48x, 1x CD-rw 16x
    Onboard intel graphics (soon to be replaced)

No matter what browser I use, I'd still use multiple firewalls. The one in my router has no system performance impact at all so why disable it?
    The windows firewall comes with the OS and while not perfect (only blocks incomming, not outgoing) is enabled by default and has little impact on performance.
    My main firewall is Sygate professional, everyone no matter what their browser is should have a professional level firewall.

If you were using firefox but no firewalls you'd still have been got by Blaster and Sasser. Its not so much a fault with the browser as the OS as a whole, so if you use any version of 2K or XP you're vulnerable if you haven't got a firewall, no matter the internet browser in use.

Originally posted by herosrest
    Try this for an idea of the prob.

Find Mshta.exe and use the shift/ right click 'open with' command to see how many file types can be run.The OS is actually a browser. A very good one.
    well, this got my curiousity going, so i googled
    mshta and here what i found:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    HTA DOWNLOAD exploit advisory - Privacy Software Corporation
    ... HTASPLOIT functions by automatically loading Microsoft's extremely dangerous "MSHTA.EXE"
    program, otherwise known as "HyperText Application" interpreter. ...
    www.nsclean.com/psc-htas.html
    ==========================