Thread: C&C Generals: Causing BSOD

C&C Generals: Causing BSOD

I can no longer play Generals on my machine. When I do the machine either freezes, the game shuts down, but more often then not I get the BSOD and the machinie restarts. It only happens when playing Generals and the machine runs fine otherwise. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game, i have defragged the partition where my games are installed. Any suggestions.

My Specs:
    XP3200
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    MSI k6TV MB
    Win2K

i've got your exact system other than the operating system.. and generals used to freeze for me all the time until i updated with the new patch and installed Zero Hour, after doing that it ran fine, maybe you could try just installing the new patch?

Thanks, but I have all the latest patches as well as zero hour and I have the same problem regardless which version I am playing. However, I am considering upgrading to WinXP since everyone says is better for gaming

If you have the stock radeon9800 fan, then more than likely it's overheating. The stock fan on the 9800 is more than lacking unfortunately.

Did you install anything new (software or drivers) before the problem started happening?
    Such as the newer Video card driver. Motherboard drivers.

I though it may be software related, so I did a clean formatted my machine and did a clean install, but the problem remains. Also I've noticed is happening when I do any gaming and suspect it may be the video card. In regards to the video card overheating, does anyone know how I can find out about the temp?

Try running 3dmark 2003, if the system locks up or video starts slowing down quite a bit, then the video card is getting hot.

Make sure you the adequate amount of case fans installed and the cpu isn't getting too hot.

Do the newer ATI cards have a temperature monitor in the display settings? Similar to what Nvidia has.

nope

Well i swapped video cards with my room mate and the problem stays with my machine. At this point my testing is pointing to the Mobo crapping out on me. Check this I have an 2 SATA ports with one SATA HD installed. If I disable the SATA drives in the BIOS, my computer will no longer recognize any other devices installed on MB.

Also with regards to 3dMark 2003 is one of the few things that does not seem to crash my system.

disable the SATA drives in the BIOS, my computer will no longer recognize any other devices installed on MB
    You mean it does not recognize the cd-rom? That's odd but im not shocked. SATA drives do weird things to a computer sometimes as the standard is new and ive seen them do alot of odd thing's like, stop working all of the sudden, make drive's dissapear, etc...

I have to enable the RAID controller on mine even though im not using RAID, b/c if I dont, it wont boot off the SATA drive.

Now that you have cancelled out the video card, let's go down the list.

1. Test your memory for at least 2 hours with this
    www.memtest86.com

2. Re-install your motherboard driver's with the latest version

3. Flash your BIOS with the latest version

4. Re-install all drivers (sound card, directx, video card, in that order)

5. Download this and let us know your temp's.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

try and check again the video card compatibility with the game (did you try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers?), dumb down your sound and video resolutions, you may have a heat problem, PSU or RAM stick going bad?

sorry Vampiel - banging thru threads and you'd already given him same advice
    Last edited by rmanet; 07-03-2004 at 08:43 AM.

I tried all these suggestions and no luck. I got a new MB coming in a couple of days to see.

PS. The games were working well for a long time before this started happening!
    Last edited by MalRic; 07-05-2004 at 08:41 PM.