Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to legalize WinXP?

How to legalize WinXP?

I've been asked to look at a computer which has been worked on by a friend of the owner. What I've found is that he has put an unlicensed version of WinXP Home on the machine.

I've explained this to the owner and she wants to put a licensed version of XP on the system. She would rather not lose the documents and email she has accumulated to date.

My question is, can she purchase and load a fully licensed version of WinXP Home over the current install without reformatting or does she have to reformat?

I have seen another post that said to install a licensed copy of WinXP over an unlicensed Win98 would still be illegal because the original license was not paid for. Our situtation is slightly different in that she is not attempting an upgrade but a replace. The last thing I want is to put her through this expense and effort only to find she's still not legal.

Thanks

P.S. I have audited her system for other unlicensed software and we have a plan in place to remove the ones we've found and replace them with either licensed copies or freeware/open source alternatives.

I'm almost certain that it won't let you install over an unauthorized version of xp..I suggest you back up all her important data and do a fresh install of a LEGAL copy of XP..And again, verbally SPANK that customer..

How did he put an unlicensed version on this PC? It has to be activated. Was it? How do you know it's unlicensed?

If Home is activated and working, you must know whether it was an upgrade or OEM installation. You must then purchase a similar version and replace the product key in the registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q328874
    MS MCP, MCSE

One of the things I needed when trying to repair the system was the original install CD. That is when she told me she did not have one. Her friend told her he got the O/S off the internet.

I have made the assumption that he has hacked the O/S but now that you ask, I don't know for a fact that he has not found a way to do this legitimately.

I believe MS provides a way to tell if it's legal on one of their web sites. I'll try to locate that info and confirm my assumption.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by gwlogue

I have made the assumption that he has hacked the O/S but now that you ask, I don't know for a fact that he has not found a way to do this legitimately.

He's used the Windows XP Pro Corporate edition which doesnt require activation and isnt availiable to buy to us mere mortals, hence its the pirates copy of choice.

--Jakk

Yeah - I seriously doubt that this is XP Home.
    MS MCP, MCSE

there is an activation hack for winxp home, so it's entirely possible that it's a bootleg copy. why anyone would choose home instead of pro is beyond me.

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    He's used the Windows XP Pro Corporate edition which doesnt require activation and isnt availiable to buy to us mere mortals, hence its the pirates copy of choice.

--Jakk
    If you buy a Dell computer you do not need to activate. It is sort of like owning a corporate edition except it is an OEM key. We buy all Dell system here at my office and I have never needed to activate one of them. We have 10 or 11 computers running XP Pro from dell.

Corporate editions of Windows XP are not different in any way except the CD Key. To test this I installed a copy of Windows XP from my work CD to my home system. I used my key and had to activate. Earlier I installed from my CD that came with my motherboard and used the corporate key and did not need to activate.

Mere mortals can buy an Open Licenses or Select license to key a legitimate corporate key. I did - the select license and I now have a corporate key and several XP licenses. Cost more than my computer, but now I have all the OSes I need.
    Last edited by rraehal; 06-25-2004 at 03:17 PM.
    -- Mathias

It is the Pro edition. My bad.

One of the things I needed when trying to repair the system was the original install CD. That is when she told me she did not have one. Her friend told her he got the O/S off the internet.
    If he charged her for his services, it may also be that he bought a copy and just d\l'd a license from MS, keeping the original for himself!

MS Piracy\Genuine?

So I'm going to get her to purchase a copy of WinXP Home, backup the files she wants to keep, reformat the c: and do a fresh, clean, legal install.

Thanks y'all

Originally posted by Midknyte
    there is an activation hack for winxp home, so it's entirely possible that it's a bootleg copy. why anyone would choose home instead of pro is beyond me.

What's the big advantage to XP pro for a novice user anyway? The pro version is only going to help for networking. Most people don't do that anyway. I do and still use XP home.
    Last edited by ukulele; 06-25-2004 at 06:06 PM.

I use Home too. Love it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

whatever floats your boat. or surfboard.

I like the ability to encrypt any file or folder, not just the "make my folder private" thing. Remote desktop is cool too.

let's not make this a home versus pro debate, ok?

Pro suxxors!

MS MCP, MCSE