Thread: Wiring direct from 568a wallplate to switch

Wiring direct from 568a wallplate to switch

How do I run cabling directly from a 568a cat5 wallplate to a 3COM 24-port switch?

I just punched down 16 wallplates last night at a new office, and now they tell me they didn't order a patch panel. Oh, and can I do it without one?

I tried several different combinations last night in the wiring closet without success.

What's the colour configuration for cat5 to go directly into the switch at the switch end?

Is it OrWh/Or/BlWh/Gr/GrWh/Bl/BrWh/Brn?

That's the only one I didn't try last night

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Logan

[EDIT] - I tried that one here at the office today and it doesn't work. Now I'm seriously stumped.
    Last edited by Logan[TeamX]; 06-25-2004 at 11:10 AM.

New to the forums, but I work in IT.

The pattern you listed is 568b.

To go from the wall plate into the switch should still be straight through. A crossover cable isn't required as you are going from one device to an unlike device ie switch to pc's not switch to switch.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I've mis-explained myself.

I punched down the wallplate as per the actual schematic:

WhBl/Bl/WhOr/Or/WhGr/Gr/WhBr/Brn

Now, I need the other physical end of that cable run to be terminated in a RJ45 cable end, and plugged directly into the 3COM switch. I might have misquoted 568A instead of B, but the fact that remains is that if I wire the other end directly as above into a RJ45 connector, and then connect a laptop with a proven straight-through into the walllplate, there is no 100Mbit connection.

plugging the laptop with the same straight-through directly into the 3COM switch produces a 100Mbit link and traffic can be seen going over the switch.

I hope I've clarified enough for everyone. I'll try the straight assignment (same as the interior of the wallplate cover) again here now in my mini-environment.

Thanks for the input!

Logan

If the wall plate is 568a then on the RJ45 end you need to have the scheme:

WhG/G/WhBl/Or/WhOr/Bl/WhBr/Br with the RJ45 tab down and contacts facing away from you.

Also make sure your wall to pc cables follow the 568a standard as well. If you're going from A to B standard then you're causing a crossover somewhere.

actually, the order of colors doesn't matter.

its the pin layout and the connection standards used ( crossover or Straight-through).

just make sure you are using the twisted pairs to connect the pins shown.
    Last edited by Sun; 06-25-2004 at 01:12 PM.

I agree with Sun. I have tested the theory and as long as both ends of the cable match, the cord will work. You simply might get interferance not following the standard which is why it was set up.

At work we use this scheme to make patch cables:
    OrWh/Or/GrWh/Bl/BlWh/Gr/BrWh/Brn -I think that is the actual 568B standard.

You can connect to a switch without a patch panel. You just need to make more patch cables and add a faceplate or plug at the switch side or put a connector directly on your wall cable that matches the standard for the wall plate. 568A or 568B.

When we were in a hurry and we don't have patch panel ports open, we would put another end on the cable and use the second patch cord at the switch.

The connection would be like this:
    568B wallplate connected to cable in wall at the PC side.
    568B block (without face plate) attached to cable at patch side. - Puched just like you were going to put it in the faceplate.
    Patch cable connected from wall plate to PC
    Patch cable connected from block to switch at switch side.

Just make sure you stick to the A standrard you have been using.
    Last edited by rraehal; 06-25-2004 at 01:30 PM.
    -- Mathias

Still doesn't work.

Wired the end of the wire connected to the punchdowns on the wallplate 568A (Whitegreen/green first). Then created a brand new 568A straight-through that tested fine and connected fine to the same switch. Connected the RJ45-ended wallplate line to the switch, and then connected the 568A straight-through cable from the wall-plate's socket to a laptop that has been used all along for tested... no signal.

There's a pin translation I'm missing somewhere. I'm just going to buy a **** patch panel.