Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Seti @ Home 2 has gone live!

If I switch over to Seti@Home 2, will my old Seti@Home credits be transferred over? Or does everyone have to start over from scratch?

Ok, BOINC is starting to officially bite. I want WU's

BOINC is definitely having some startup hiccups.

I have most of the herd still running SETI classic. I have switched my system at home to BOINC along with 2 others at work. I just added another one at work yesterday, but there are no WU's to do, so it will just sit there until it can get something to work on. I hope they work out the kinks in the system soon. I won't switch all the herd over to BOINC until this thing is working steady for a few months, even if they pull the plug on SETI classic, it's just too flaky right now to run it on all the machines.

BTW, I passed my 5 year anniversary of SETI crunching last month.

Originally posted by Bizkitkid2001
    If I switch over to Seti@Home 2, will my old Seti@Home credits be transferred over?

Yes.

seti news

July 22, 2004
    We found and fixed the no results bug. It was a malformed embedded SQL query. But we are leaving the scheduler off overnight to let the transitioner work through it's backlog. The transitioner works a great deal faster with a small backlog and we hope yesterday's changes will go a long way in preventing a large backlog from recurring.

July 22, 2004
    Yesterday we introduced a bunch of performance enhancements to the system. During the course of letting the system run overnight, we have detected a bug that keeps results from being spent to hosts. It looks at though this bug has only been around for about 13 hours. While we are debugging this issue we have decided to shutdown the scheduler and try and let the transitioners pick up the pace a bit.

Yeah, thats really nice and everything, but BOINC is still garbage.

And in all honesty and fairness it seems to be spitting out work units now. I've managed to get four of my systems to download work units as of right now. I have two more to go, but I'm going to hold off on those two for a bit first.

Originally posted by Bizkitkid2001
    If I switch over to Seti@Home 2, will my old Seti@Home credits be transferred over? Or does everyone have to start over from scratch?
    We all start from scratch. That's why it's good to get started ASAP!

Definitely a day to day thing for wu's but set up to download the max to span the dry spells.

Congrats to smithdw on 5year commitment to SETI!

I know its fun and all to see how many units you can pump out and everything, but nobody is ever going to actually find any aliens or signs of anything...

that's why on BOINC you can run pah, which does protein prediction instead.

http://predictor.scripps.edu

(still in alpha atm)

Yeah I know, I'm not trying to "bang on" SETI either, I used to do it too you know (might actually start doing it agian too since my CPUs arent doing anything else all day) I just hope people dont actually think they're ever going to find anything! hehe

I take the same view, even if alien life is out there I seriously doubt that we'd find them via radio signals

Same. But I dont doubt its out there either... how can we be the only ones?!?!?!

Easily.

I've moved the 4 systems that were running BOINC back to SETI Classic. In a month or two I will probably try it again. With all the network/server problems that BOINC was/is having, I decided to drop BOINC and go back to Classic.

At least I'm getting WU's for Classic to chew on, about 370+/day if everything is running good. And I'm hovering around 357th place.