Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seti @ Home 2 has gone live!

Seti @ Home 2 has gone live!

I will more than likely be moving my herd to the new project soon, hope to see you all there.

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/

I have installed the BOINC version on my system at home to test it out.

The motherboard died in this system about a month ago. Now it has been upgraded from an Athlon 1700+/ASUS A7V266-E/512MB to an Intel P4-2.8E/Intel D865PERL/1GB system, along with a new Antec 430W power supply and a new Maxtor 160GB HDD.

I will probably wait for a non-beta version of the BOINC CLI service before installing it on the rest of the systems.

I'll let everyone know what happens and the stats that this program comes up with.

BOINC is nice, BOINC is to seti as Steam is to Half-life, but where steam is a miserable failiure, BOINC actually is designed around what clients want, and BOINC is excellent.

My only gripe is that many of the program settings are online (web-based) and you can't change them offline.

As for the CLI-version, well the windows boinc GUI still runs seti without fancy graphics etc, and processes as fast. (unlike the old seti that even minimized the old seti gui would take about twice as long to process a WU).

Having a CLI version will still be nice for a farm or whatever, but for the 'average' home user having the boinc_gui is sort of equivalent to running seti driver + seti CLI.

BOINC looks pretty good to me. Is there any point in carrying on with seti@home classic as the wu's are not going to be transfered across any more? To my understanding everybodys wu score was transfered on may 14 and any completed since then will be lost when seti@home classic is stopped. Is this correct????
    Am going to transfer my herd now anyway. Going to be a real pain as I'm going to have to visit every machine to install

Anybody else moving?

I am starting to move mine over a little at a time..

Your right about the transfer.. ours was transfered at 28000+ wu's completed.. so you might as well go to the next phase..

I Have officially moved my entire herd to Boinc.

I moved 1 computer over, a P4 1.7G P4 laptop... the hit in completion time is significant! Using the CLI old S@H i was getting under 5 hours on this machine, boinc: 6.5 hours.

BOINC actually uses seti CLI 3.08, so there must be other factors involved, or perhaps you just got a larger WU. (they no longer have to all be the same size because of the way credit is worked out).

Yeah thanks... I'm thinkin maybe something in preferences might be goofy, but of course the site is down this weekend. Im trying 'run always'

yes, but whilst the website is down, at least the back-end is up and giving out work etc, just a shame a lot of the "options" are web-only too

Indeed

Can someone post some screenshots? I'm curious to see what the new version looks like.

Here's the work page pasted over the message page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks genesound. I wonder if there is a way to use the old cached WUs with the new client. Does anyone know? I've got around forty sitting here locally. It would be a shame to waste them.

I doubt it... the file names are similar to those listed in the work page and they are larger than the old work_unit.sah files.
    Attached Images Attached Images