Thread: Mozilla Reloads Firefox

Mozilla Reloads Firefox

tried it, didn't really like it.. couldn't install new themes, extensions.. the skin looked kinda yucky. I had no patience so i reverted back to 0.8 with all my custom settings. Still got lots of respect for mozilla, but this new build didn't work out for me. Will probably install it later when the bugs r worked out.

Ill probably give this a shot. Very happy with 0.8, so I might wait for a few bugs to get ironed out.

Didn't have any problems with 0.9...

So far, no probs with 0.9... I imported my old bookmarks and installed my favorite extensions (Tabbrowser Extensions, Diggler) without any problem. I'm no expert, just reporting my experience using Firefox as my default browser. If there are any bugs, I haven't noticed yet.

Of course, I removed all traces of 0.8 first. Originally, when I installed 0.8 without cleaning up after 0.7, I experienced a few glitches, which disappeared once I did a clean install.

0.9's default interface is certainly spartan-looking (OK, OK, ugly)... the 0.9-compatible themes are available here. You can get there also using the link in the Theme Manager (in the Tools menu). Still too few, but I guess it is just a matter of time before the more are listed.

I feel silly saying this since it sounds obvious, but its wise to always restart Firefox after installing a new theme and/or extension. I've noticed that now when I download a Theme, and sometimes with the extensions as well, I no longer get the message prompting me to restart Firefox...

Nobody wanted to post in the original thread?

no major problems, the themes will follow soon enough. try it.

0.9's alright on the Windows PC. I don't like it much on OSX, it seems buggier than the OSX flavor of .8 and crashes out more. I haven't had too many problems with .9. I like some of the new feature, like improvements to the download manager. I still can't find an option to force new windows to open in tabs. I don't like clicking a link and earning a new taskbar button - ever.

-necide

Originally posted by Necide
    I still can't find an option to force new windows to open in tabs.
    lifted from Firefox

If you prefer tabs instead of windows, you must also install TaB Browser Extensions , a very powerful extension that enhances the functionality of the tabbed browsing. After installing the extension, follow these instructions found in Tips and Tricks, under Browser Behavior click on "Open external links in new windows or tabs"

Originally posted by apainttown
    lifted from Firefox...
    Thanks!

went to firefox and 0.9.1 is out. them gents don't sit still, do they.

anyway, back to u Necide, i thought i would try out those mouse gesture thing..... Extremey Cool.

it appears i can open link in new Tabs or Windows with a simple mouse movement. i think it works independently from the Tab Browser Extension. this mouse gesture is the best, Opera has it also.

All-In-One-Gestures
    Firefox Extension List where u can find a selection under mouse gestures
    Last edited by apainttown; 06-30-2004 at 03:03 PM.

ok, i promise this is the last suggestion........for now,

found something from Aaron Spuler. it looks like just what u want in tabbed browsing. go to his page, Aaron Spuler , and goto-> Extensions then ->Single Window. now is that what u want or what?

A simple extension that allows Mozilla to fully utilize the built-in tabbed browsing behavior, compatible with Mozilla, Netscape, and Firefox. Singlewindow has only two options:

* Single Window Mode
    Traps links that would normally open in a new window and opens them in a new tab instead.

* External Link Handling.
    External links can be set to open in a new tab instead of the currently active tab.