Thread: W98 Fatal Exceptions

W98 Fatal Exceptions

Good morning,

I know it is early for some of you, but I could sure could use the help. I received the following FE during the upgrade from 95-98

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:<xxxxxxxx> in VxD VMM(06) + <xxxxxxxx>.

Situation: Donated equipement (Old P200) for a school fund raising group to replace a dead P133. The P200's OS W95, the P133 had w98 installed, OEM disk. I used the OEM w98 disk to upgrade P200.

Deactivated Mac Av and proceeded to install W98 in P200. Proceeded ok. just after reboot following entering ID #'s fatal exception appeared.

I did a google search and found the 0E. It indicates that it is a W95 problem not a W98 problem. I have reinstalled with the same results. The MS site provided a fix, but indicated that it was for W95. The problem was corrected in w98. Now, if it was corrected with W98, why am i experiencing the problem? Will a fresh install correct the problem?

Thanks, CB

First, did not clear CMOS, not sure as to location of jumper. There is one close to the battery, between two ISA cards, but i cannot rearch it without removing a card. The MB is an Intel Socket 7 with large ID numbers SQ575.

Ultimate Member
    Why don't you just do a clean install of Win 98 on that machine?

Thanks r8500,

A clean install did solve the problem, which I knew it probably would. I was hoping to improve my skills by working through the problem. I find "time" as being the biggest problem, when trying to work through these situations. I spent more time searching here, along with the net, than it took to perform a clean install.

I am still trying to resolve a USB issue. The Host Controller is flagged with an Exclamtion Mark in yellow, in Device Manager that I cannot clear. The MB is a BCM SQ575. I feel the issue is Bios related.

Curious,
    Glad to hear that a clean install fixed things up for you - and my personal kudos to you for trying to learn and "work through" an issue.

For your USB issues I'd suggest doing a search on the forums - instead of re-posting.
    Cheers,
    SJG

Ultimate Member
    curious, I'm glad the clean install helped you. Sometimes it takes a lot less time to do that, than it does to try to fix the issue.

As for your USB issue, make sure that USB is turned on in the bios. It probably is. If so, download the newest drivers for that motherboard, and install them all, and see if it doesn't start to work then.

r8500 & sjg437 Thanks,

Well I have done all of the below. I found the manual on the BCM websit. Located where to enable Legacy key board in Bios. Intel 430xt chipset, update all drivers. I even used an Intel USB checking utility that informed me the W98 supported, the drivers are correct and all is good to go.

The Yellow exclaimatiom mark still flags the host USB controller in device manager, plus I now cannot install the Samsung Printer drivers and usb support. I receive an error message during the installation of the printer drivers that the port cannot be found and stops the download. What puzzles me, I had successfully load both into w95 prior to upgrading the OS to W98, when I realized this vs. W95 did not provide USB support. The only thing I have not done is upgade the Bios.

CB

Rocketmech,
    You are a gentleman and a scholar. After visiting the site, it appears that W98 is the next best thing to Pandora's Box. I was going to first try another clean install then start Google quest.

Thanks again,
    CB

I have another Old AST P133 that is now used just for email. I upgraded from W95 to W98, to accomadate USB without a hitch. Go Figure?