Thread: Home net help

Home net help

Hi all;
    I'm running a home network with a Dlink 713p router, and my send n 3rd pcs are using dlink cards(pc uses pcmcia and other desktop uses a usb)
    the prob is with the 2d desktop..its my sons, hes back from college, i went to set it up...had multiple problems..went to dlinks site..said to delete the dlink config utility, then uninstall the unit(dwl120) and reinstall using their updated driver... i did and bingo yesterday it worked fine..
    on boot today..it sees the router.. but NO net access. i tried the whole delete and reinstall procedure to no avail..
    oddly xp's zero config keeps trying to set the ip to a range thats outside the routers LAn ip ability(168. something)
    i reset to a 192 ip manually thats within the range , turned off wep just in case that was a problem, i do have mac access control set , but the mac address hasnt changed for the adapter so im sure its right.. ive doublechecked SSID, channel and that wep is disabled.
    it says i have an exellent signal..but no net access..from the wireless desktop pc. any ideas where i shoull look now?.. its frustrating knowing it worked yesterday
    Thanks
    Barry

sounds like the computer can't get an IP. are you sure it's 168.x and not 169.254.x.x? that's an apipa address.

check that dhcp is enabled on your router. disable MAC address filtering, WEP, and any other security until you get connected. you may even need to do a full reset of the router.

WZC will be ready for action with the release of WinXP SP2

The current rendition of WZC is not compatible with many Entry Level Hardware. D-Link has its own utilities, switch Off WZC and use the utilities.

Link to: Wireless - Basic Configuration.

Link to: Wireless Security.