Thread: Suggestions for MB+CPU combos?

Suggestions for MB+CPU combos?

I think my current motherboard fried out and I am looking for a replacement. Problem is that I'd hate to waste the 1GB PC2100 memory I have. 512MG I just bought a couple of weeks ago?

Are there any suggestions on a MB+CPU combo that would work with this memory?

I know there are faster memory and faster MBs but don't want to buy upgrades for everything.

*ADDED*
    I have another question. Is it possible that a Mobo CMOS has a limit of Harddrive? I just put a 200GB drive on all of a sudden my whole system stopped working. However if the master boot drive is only 30GB and it showed the 200GB drive as a slave. I guess I will try putting the original drive back in and see.

TIA,

Scoots987
    Last edited by scoots987; 06-11-2004 at 07:44 PM.

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    ABIT NF7-S motherboard
    AthlonXP 2400+ CPU

That CPU has a FSB of 266mhz, so does your RAM. Perfect. And it can all be OCed it you want.
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Nice board. The -S version has the Sounstorm onboard audio.

also another great board is the gigabyte GA-7N400-L and it is very nice and handles everything i give it, currently a XP 2400+ @ 200*11 = 2200mhz and runs stable, no crashes in 6 months so yeah if your going to overclock then a very suitible board i asure you. and also if you going to overclock at all why not consider a XP mobile chip as they run super cool and can be overclocked miles more then normal XP chips because of the low voltage. a XP mobile 2600+ still has the 266mhz FSB and also has 2 times the amount of L2 cache = 512 which will come in handy although the extra cache does compensate for the slightly lower clock speed over the non-mobile chip so all in all if you go for Mobile you can get the 2600+ and still run at 266FSB or 2400+ is the highest 266FSB XP chip still out there

Thanks guys, what does the dual channel do on the Gigabyte board?

Can someone provide a good priced CPU for either or both of these boards?

Thanks,

Scoots987

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    Go mobile? That's a great idea. I didn't even think about it.
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

dual channel is great ok since you will be having DDR2100 (266mhz) RAM you will be getting 2.1 gigagytes of bandwidth with your memory but if you have 2 sticks of ram running dual channel you will ultimately be getting 4.2 gigabytes of bandwidth so basically doubles your bandwidth rating for the memory

May I recommend the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra and the Athlon XP mobile 2400 (45watt) ? The an35n is one of the cheapest dual channel boards around, and has some overclocking options if needed. And the mobile processor is rated for 266 fsb at the 1.45 voltage, but actually it's the same chip as the 333 barton, so you can safely oc it to run at 333 with that board should the need arise in the future. Also for $132 total it's not so hard on the wallet.

The mobile Athlon is a good idea. Another option is a Duron 1800. Dirt cheap and decent performance. You clearly should get some sort of nForce2 m/b. The particular one that's best for you depends on what price you're willing to pay, which features you need / want and how important OC'ing is to you and what you want to use it for. Do you already have a good video card / sound card etc., or do you want to use integrated.