Thread: Firewall Question

Firewall Question

I run Kerio Personal Firewall 4 and besides configuring general settings, I've never looked into specific port blocking.

I've been getting alerts tonight from 2 different IP every 30 min or so and it seems they won't rest until they try them all one after the other......

My question is, by default are all ports protected?? Or should I block any particular ones?

Thanks
    ~ F@ncy

I'm pretty sure that if you block a specific port, you will never be prompted again. That should be the only difference. All ports should be blocked by default, Fancy.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I am not familiar specifically with Kerio.

However in most cases All Port are Closed, and you have to open ports for specific Application.

Because all the ports are closed when some one from the outside scan you ports you would get an Alarm.

If you have Broadband connection you should use a combo of Router and Software Firewall. I would suggest to people with Broadband to use a Router and software Firewall even if they have only one computer.

The Router discards all of this “Pings”. Most software Firewalls would have a Menu Entry that by checking it would ignore these probes as well.

Thanks to both of you for your replies

"I see no router in your near future but Kerio will protect you" -- that's what my fortune teller told me

fancyf;

If you want to be really sure about Kerio 4 there are extremely knowledgeable people at
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

Sygate firewall has an online test option to see if the ports are stealth/closed...does Kerio have this option?

Thanks guys

I'll check their forums. And no as far as I know kerio doesn't have a test function built in.. I just tested with Leak Test and Shields UP and all seems fine except for 1 thing that I'll need to investigate.

thanks again