Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Radeon 9800 Pro a good buy?????

Is Radeon 9800 Pro a good buy?????

I Really want to know because im thinking on buying instead of the x800(waiting to the end of the year to get the r500) and I just wished to know how well it perfoms in games like farcry all maxed out at 1256x1024...

And how much Extra Mhz can be oc.
    Last edited by causticVapor; 06-12-2004 at 07:27 PM.
    V.Itra.Forza

The 9800 pro is the best buy right now for a performance video card. It will run any game you want to throw at it.

The only way to know how well something overclocks is to buy it and overclock it. Just because one person overclocks a (insert name brand) 9800 pro and gets x result doesn't mean you will too.

Ultimate Member
    As stated, the 9800 Pro represents the best value for money card out there at present.

The upgrade path i would suggest is to buy a 9800Pro with the fastest RAM you can find (2.8ns woudl be nice), then spend a tenner on an Arctic Silencer cooling unit. You should be able to overclock the thing to 9800XT speed easily, which will give you plenty of performance to be goign on with while you wait for the R500/R600

--Jakk

what Jakks said.

The 9800Pro is far better then any card thats in that price range at the moment, I replaced my ti4600 for the Pro and I have nothing bad to say about this card, its very easy to overclock to 9800XT speeds or even higher as I am doing, just spend a couple of bucks for the Arctic Silencer and your set.

Do you think the cooling system is enough to OC to a 9800XT.?

HIS' Radeon 9800 Pro Exaclibur

HIS RADEON 9800 PRO EXCALIBUR
    V.Itra.Forza

yep, it should'nt be a problem, the cooler thats on that Pro is an Arctic Silencer anyways. the card comming Pre moded is a good thing to.

OK THK then.
    V.Itra.Forza

Ultimate Member
    Loosk good to me, 256bit bus, 2.8ns RAM and an Arctic Silencer pre-fitted, should overclock like jim-buggery

--Jakk

Originally posted by CrazyCrusher
    The 9800Pro is far better then any card thats in that price range at the moment, I replaced my ti4600 for the Pro and I have nothing bad to say about this card, its very easy to overclock to 9800XT speeds or even higher as I am doing, just spend a couple of bucks for the Arctic Silencer and your set.
    Did you notice a significant boost in performance upgrading from the Ti4600 to the 9800 pro? I have a Ti4200 and was thinking of buying the 9800 pro. Will I notice that much of a difference?

Thanks

Ultimate Member
    I went from a ti4200 to a R9800 Pro and the speed boost is significant, particularly in newer games such as UT2003/2004 and Far Cry. In addition to this you'll find yourself with the power to run just about anything with a decent (if not high) level of Anti-Aliasing and Anisotrpic Filtering, wheras on the Ti4200 for optimal performance, i personally found myself leaving AA disabled all the time.

Well worth the upgrade even a year ago at £220 quid a pop, even more worth it now at only £150

--Jakk

I think that anyone who buys the ati radeon x800 pro will be making a big mistake.

I bealive ati big surprise will come at the end of the year with r500 chip and full PS 3.0 support I also balive that at that time will have direct x10.0 WITH VS 3.0 AND WITH FULL PCI EXPRESS SUPPORT.

So my plan is to buy right now the ati radeon 9800pro(128) and to wait for the end of the year.

Im also predicting that nvidia will fail enormously with the 6800 card its going to be a disapponting experience for the money that youre paying for the card $600 and up.
    V.Itra.Forza

The 9800pro is a great card, and will offer a large boost of performance over the ti4200. The new PCI Express cards should be fun when they start coming out, will probably offer a huge performance boost.

Ultimate Member
    Radeon X800 pro is not a bad buy. Neither is the 6800 ultra - both satisfy that ultra-high-end niche market. And both are cards that have longevity in them.

I know someone who upgraded from a 9800 pro to an x800 - that I would have to say is a bit of a mistake. But some ppl just can't wait, I guess...

and PCIe will EVENTUALLY provide a huge performance boost over AGP, most likely not initially. Even the manufacturers admit this.

That all said, the 9800 Pro is not a bad card for the money. The difference between it and a Ti4200 is like night and day.

Yea I know, but PCI-E will increase their capabilities significantly eventually.

yep it gave me a hug speed boost moving from my TI4600 to the Pro, I also wanted DX9 and better PS support, which I wasnt getting on my TI, I new the 9800 Pro outdid anything Nvidia had at the time and it was well worth the buy, and needless to say it was hard for me to jump ship from Nvidia to ATI at the time, but you know what they say, when your beat your beat. But my TI4600 I will always have nothing but good to say about that card, a fantastic card of its time.