Thread: Motherboard makers les than chuffed with BTX

Ultimate Member

Motherboard makers les than chuffed with BTX

This whole BTX form factor thing is going to be interesting. Intel has a lot of clout, but it's hard to see how Intel is going to force this onto reluctant m/b manufacturers. Since it's strictly a layout issue, Intel's next chipsets for the next socket will presumable work just as well on an ATX vs. BTX form factor m/b. Any comments on how this is going to pan out? Will BTX be still born?

Ultimate Member
    Still be born likely, stillborn likely as well.

I for one am against BTX...It serves no purpose for me. It'll just mean that eventually we all have to buy new parts. What the heck?
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Ultimate Member
    Basically.

Originally posted by causticVapor
    Basically.
    Exactly...
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

Ultimate Member
    I see maybe a few system integrators and tier one OEMs actually releasing systems... if that. Nobody's going to adopt BTX for the simple reason that it requires an ENTIRE platform upgrade, is ill-defined, and overall inflexible.

CPUs with integrated memory controllers are probably going to have to live with less than optimal timings because of the odd trace routing required for a northbridgeless platform in BTX.

Simply adding another CPU to the mix complicates the problem considerably, and may even be impossible. This is due to the nonscaleable windtunnel design.

Also the bolting that the huge heatsink uses to affix to the case - only one.

Power supply capacity is reduced and cost driven up because of the forced small form factor.

Full-length cards of all form factors have difficulty fitting due to market targetization assumptions.

Many feel that BTX was simply a way to allay intel's CPU heat issues, and I must agree. I couldn't see a more closed-minded design myself. It feels targeted toward the new-age slimline PC market, forgetting about everyone else.

The more I read about BTX, the more I enjoy my FULL ATX TOWER. Runs cool, easy to work on and has LOTS of room for expansion. Never did like to put 3 pounds of cr@p in a 2 pound bag.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Originally posted by Billforce
    Never did like to put 3 pounds of cr@p in a 2 pound bag.
    i LOVE trying to put 3 pounds of cr@p
    in a 2 pound bag. *my fave*